Radiator Question Again

rennwerkes

Hope someone can help me on this one.

Ordered the radiator hoping it would be like the one I've got on my Pathfinder.

Unfortunately, it's the one with the smaller core, I think it measures 16mm.

WHen I check the application guide both the 16 and 25 should fit.

Does anyone run this radiator and does it cool your Pathfinder well?

The one that's currently in mine is the 25mm one.

THanks!

Little grey came with the thin radiator. It did OK and never truly overheated, but it did get very warm and I had to keep an eye on it when temps got near 100 and I was rolling slower than 20 mph or so. Adequate, but just.

I would suggest putting more effort into finding the thick one. Did you try Rock Auto?

I wonder which one I have. The other day, I was on Rt 80 traveling around 70mph. It was about 90 - 95 and I had the AC on. I was in the middle of the guage with it going a little above. When I turned the AC off it went down but I have never ever had it go so high. Wonder what I can do besides getting the taurus fan.

How do I know if I have the smaller one?

I wonder which one I have. The other day, I was on Rt 80 traveling around 70mph. It was about 90 - 95 and I had the AC on. I was in the middle of the guage with it going a little above. When I turned the AC off it went down but I have never ever had it go so high. Wonder what I can do besides getting the taurus fan.

Measure the thickness of the alloy part of it. It will either be 16mm or 25mm. I had a 16mm one then bent it crossing water too fast. When I bought a new one I got the 25mm just because that's all they had :D

Unfortunately, the Taurus fan won't help this situation. Once you get over about 40 mph, the fan does nothing. The air is being rammed through faster than any fan could pull.

Assuming water pump, thermostat, head gaskets, etc. are all in proper working order, what you need is more cooling capacity. If you have the thin one, get the thick one. If you have a thick one, get a new one. If the coolant hasn't been changed on a regular basis, the radiator is probably corroded and/or sludged up. My nephew's 13 year old cherokee was over 1/2 full of goop when he got it due to lack of maintenance.

Edited by mws

Yup, just bit the bullet and bought the correct core size made by Koyo. Plastic top and bottom and aluminum core. I know some prefer brass radiators but I'm used to the aluminum ones from my BMW's.

Also bought a bunch of Pentosin coolant that won't chew away at the alloy parts in the engine. A little pricey but worth it in the long run. I've seen what cheap coolant can to do. Mainly corrosion and deposits!