Offroad Laws In Cali

unccpathfinder

on my drive out here the wash's look like they could be fun places to go play and on the radio yest i heard where a father daughter got stuck in a wash (in a 2wd) and then lost in the middle of the desert but didn't say anything about them being in trouble for being places they shouldnt be...

I would assume the washes would be off limits...but what else I see lots of trails everywhere and i know lots of folks go down them in atv's and dirt bikes but I was curious is to the legality in all of this...i know back home (NC) I went whereever it wasnt posted (although I could have gotten in trouble) but i figured if its not posted then i'm not aware that i shouldnt be there...

I know there are also a good couple of OHV parks out here which I would like to explore sometime....

Thanks

A topo map with BLM and NFS lands marked is your friend.

Generally, BLM land is open to use - but NOT abuse.

Private property is not.

Thes days, NFS land may or may not be. The worst part is that it doesn't have to be posted one way or the other and they are drawing lines and opening/closing trails in a somewhat spastic way due to some re-interpretations of laws. You're just supposed to "know", I guess. Our experience on dirt bikes is that if you have a respectful attitude and are not tearing things up, the gendarme is likely to just advise you that you're on currently closed trails and will tell you where it is legal.

Ok, WHERE in Cali are you?? Different rules and enforcement apply in different areas. It is a big state...

B

sothern cal (iguess) mojave desert area near edwards afb

A topo map with BLM and NFS lands marked is your friend.

Generally, BLM land is open to use - but NOT abuse.

Private property is not.

Thes days, NFS land may or may not be. The worst part is that it doesn't have to be posted one way or the other and they are drawing lines and opening/closing trails in a somewhat spastic way due to some re-interpretations of laws. You're just supposed to "know", I guess. Our experience on dirt bikes is that if you have a respectful attitude and are not tearing things up, the gendarme is likely to just advise you that you're on currently closed trails and will tell you where it is legal.

sweet thanks for the input