Rear Drum Brakes..... or what's left of them

SnoViking

Hey Guys.... so about a week ago I was driving and a clicking noise started... So I got home and jacked up the Pathfinder and spun tires to see where the click was coming from. Found it was on the rear passenger side tire. So I pulled it and found that my rear drum is about rusted to hell. I can peel pieces off. Has anyone had other problems like this? Im alittle scared to even drive the thing right now. My other side isnt as bad but it doesnt look good. The whole bottom of the drum has rusted away. Anyone have any good advice for replaces it? Junkyard? Online? or does anyone have a used one I can buy for cheap? Please let me know. thanks guys.

Pat

I just bought shoes for my 87 and they were $21 and I was going to pick up drums, BUT they wanted $60 per drum. :o -thnkboutit- I passed on that one. I hope that my drums are good, because my shoes are worn really bad. I didn't price springs or the wheel cylinders. :shrug: This was at Advanced Auto by the way.

Did it sit for long period of time??

Smitty

Your drums rusted THROUGH? That's a new one on me. Drums are almost 1/2" thick. Are you sure it's not just surface rust? If is isn't, I wanna see pics! :D

BTW: mine were $75 each brand new. I was getting quotes of $100 each from most places, actually. Good for you for finding drums for $60! :D

well if you say that $60 is a good deal then I hope that my drums are not FUBAR. I can't aford to drop $120 on brakes, especially when I'm going to be putting the rearend out of my 88 with the LSD and rear disc. Looks like they're staying if they're grooved. Oviously I'll change them if they are unsafe though.

Smitty

Well it looks like I'm going to be spending $120 on drums. The pads are fine. I compared them to the new ones and they don't even look like they were worn at all. The drums are worn beyond limits. Yay for me and me body lift that I'm not getting this pay day.

Yup.... rusted through.... Ill get some pictures when I replace them. Has anyone done, or is it even possible to do a disc conversion? I already have the discs. Im assuming I would need the calipers? but how bout some sort of mount?

Pat

I have an 88 parts Pathy with LSD and rear disc so when I swap the axle's I'll have them mounted already. I assume that I'm going to need to change the master cylinder and modify to brake lines too. P... Weekend event I hope.

Smitty

For a disc conversion, you'd need donor axles themselves COMPLETE with brakes still on them, the hard brake line off the donor rear axle, and a new master cylinder. Axles are different, backing plates, brake mounts and hardlines are all different. Then, you'd have to take the centersection out of your open rear diff, take the case apart, remove a thrust block inside the case, reassemble it all, and put it all together. If your existing diff is a LSD, that step can be bypassed.

Or, just use a whole complete axle off an SE. :)