Crankshaft Pulley Wobbling

dkpath96

I recharged my AC this afternoon and while I was inspecting the compressor I noticed that my crankshaft pulley was wobbling. Not just a little wobble, either - I'd say it wobbles 1/4 to 1/2 an inch in and out. I've read that the vibration dampener is part of (or is) this pulley, so is it compensating or is something going terribly wrong?? I've never seen it do this before...

The vibration damper is probably worn in your harmonic balancer. I don't know if you can separate the pulley(s) and just buy the damper, or if you need to buy a whole new harmonic balancer. I've seen that happen once when Dowser and I didn't have a proper puller, and tried to pry the harmonic balancer off his truck to do his timing belt. Wobbled like hell after that. I believe he ended up replacing it.

I'd definately fix that quick. Don't even start the engine if you don't absolutely have to. I just saw a pic in a "how to" engine rebuild book of a crank that blew out the front of the block because of a damaged balancer.