squealing noise

jason

I started up the Pathfinder yesterday and there was a squealing noise right when the engine started. Then when I pushed the clutch in there it was again. I let the clutch out and it went away. Then I pushed the clutch in and...there it was again. After doing this a couple times I turned the truck off and turned it back on, and everything was fine. How can I fix this?

Well, it sounds like you could fix it by not using your clutch... ;) I don't know much about manuals, but a gut instinct guess would be some sort of bearing or something in the clutch if it goes and comes by pushing it in and letting it out. Other than that, I haven't a clue.

Throwout bearing? Mine makes a kinda moaning/squealing sound from time to time when pushing the clutch, generally when partially loaded. But it only does it occassionally, and doesn't affect drivability. Matter of fact, its done it for over a year now, but again, only very rarely.

Do I need to replace it right away? If not, how will I know when it becomes crucial? Because like I said, it only happened the one time and was fine afterwards. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i would also say throw out bearing, the day after i got my path my clutch & throw out bearing shagged it self so the mechanic i brought the path form drove an hour to come get me then fixed my car for cost of new parts only - new clutch, pressure plate & throw out bearing. anyways the point of my comment...... when my path stopped i was left with out drive - i could rev and rev but no drive

if it does it again check it out.

Hey, if it doesn't do it anymore, it could simply have been a bit wet, or something shifted a bit so it wasn't in the same place. Dunno. If it does it any more (constantly) then it's time for a new one, but it's not really a crucial wear item that needs to be replaced immediately. If you can stand the noise, it'll last a while , but keep in mind that it will need replacing eventually.