Just Got My Pathfinder

rk434

hey guys, its great i found this site - im sure it will be really helpful. i had a tbird back in the day and they have a site and forum for tbirds too, very helpful.

id like to say im a proud new owner of a blue 96' pathfinder, 4x4. id like to lift it, as i have a free set of 33" tires that id like to put on it. however im not made of money, but i do know a thing or two about working on vehicles. as far as i can tell, the most cost effective way to lift the truck 2" ish would be to add a leaf in the back, and put jeep coils in the front... have i got this right? seems almost too simple. also, the 33s are 12" wide, and i have stock rims. my concern is, are those wheels going to be safe with 33s on them? what other cheap options for suitable rims are there? im up in northern canada, so selection is pretty sparse, but im going to go have a look at the wrecker this weekend hopefully.

i'm really excited for this truck, i dont want to go crazy with it, but i think it looks pretty bad with the stock tires...

what does the klondike edition have over the standard? is there anything else i should know about pathfinders right off the bat?

i really appreciate your help guys - hopefully someday ill be a position to share a little of my knowledge too!

ryan

to fit 33's your gonna need to do some pretty serious trimming, also you should check the timing belt as when these go your screwed and will have a major PITA on your hands

Yeah, in order to fit 33 at all you are going to need at least 3 inches just to clear the tires, 6 inches if you are going to do serious offroading or else you will get serious rub, or you can trim it like crazy as csutke suggested...

havent had a chance to really look at her just yet - sounds like 33s might be a bit much for the pathy?

yeah, 33's are a push. there isn't much out there in the way of "big" lifts for R-50's at the moment... 2" is about the best you'll get right now, and I think those who are running any kind of lift are running 32's .... hold on to your 33's, one day they will come out with a lift you can fit them with.

no, stock wheels would not be such a good idea for 12.5 wide tires... on king i run 15x10 rims. (with 33x12.5x15 tires)

the WD-21 (88-95) Pathy's have IFS up front and coils in the rear, and like 88 said, R-50's like yours have struts and coils.

a good set of stock sixe AT's always seem to make an R-50 (or any pathy for that matter) look bigger, and "tougher" if that's the effect you're going for.

and BTW..... :welcome:

HI there, welcome to NPORA...

Unfortunately the info you have on lifting is for the older WD21 Pathfinders... to lift your 96 R50 check out these threads:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4990

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7192

With the AC lift I have, you're supposed to get 2" lift, but most get closer to 3"... however, overtime that will sag.

Most guys run 32" tires with that lift -- I think a couple have wedged 33's in there, but, I assume with some metal alterations... also 12" is pretty wide... Mine are 10.8" wide, and I had to get an aftermarket wheel with some offset to allow room in the front, otherwise my tires would hit the strut mounts.

This thread has some info on wheels:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14428

As for your Klondike edition... we have a couple threads comparing the Chilkoot to the XE, (chilkoot, is an XE with a few extra toys) but nothing on yours... another one of those mysterious Canadian trim packages I suppose :D

thanks for the info guys! i dont have the klondike package, but ive seen one where i used to work. it was green with black wheels, looked reaallly good. mines that bluey purpley color.

another question, im having second thoughts about wheter the truck was a good purchase for me. its got around 195,000kms, command start, everything works just get, no rust. i paid $7 grand for it, is that a deal or did i get hosed?

also, not sure what the AC lift is... im kinda limited for options in thompson, not alot of wreckers, id probably have to order the parts new from napa or crappy tire. what do i need to do the quick lift? can i just order some jeep springs and swap em?

Edited by rk434

AC = 4x4parts.com

They sell the lift for your Pathfinder.

7K seems a little high for your truck, but it everything's working, I wouldn't worry about the mileage. If you know the T-belt has been changed, you're fine. IF not, get it swapped out ASAP, as a breakage there will cost you big bucks in terms of a rebuild.

A point of reference....I have over 312,000kms on my 95 Pathy....and it's still going strong.

Welcome and post up a photo.

pics to come this week! going into the tire shop to order new wheels and tires this week. gonna get 32s and see if they rub i guess, like i said, i have a FREE set of 33s, but if they wont fit... they wont fit. im not a HUGE off roader, just want them to fill the wells... id rather spend my money elsewhere. would the 33s fit if i didnt turn too sharp? if not, maybe ill buy new 31s or 32s... any ideas?

these are 32"s I don't know how much different the stock ride height between the WD's and R-50's but I had to trim my fenders a good amount, I probably did more than I needed but I go off-roading a lot. They rub up in the fender well in one little spot and it hits the top of the fender when I do go off-road and it's starting to buckle in in a few places, but if you don't do any serious wheeling you'll be ok.

img1581rh5.jpg

img15671hp7.jpg

beach010111yg7.jpg

They fill the fenders perfectly and it has a nasty look to it sitting low on the wide tires especially head on. :tonguefinger: