Need Some Advice From All Of The People Here (thanks)

Not a problem I am going to find out exactly what caused this.

here is where I am at

10:00AM tow truck arrived (yeaterday) with my pathe

10:30AM I removed the fan, shroud,belts, timing cover

I noticed at TDC my driverside cam was dead on but my passenger side was off by three teeth

I also noticed micro small shavings (metal dust) in the inner cam wheels

removed the harmonic then lower timing case cover.

removed and examined the rolling tentioner and spring

the roller I could roll and it would continue to spin noisey bearings looked it had a torch held to it rainbow coloring.

having the crank TDC I adjusted the drivers cam to its mark when i did the same with the passenger side

the cam wheel came forward a good 1.5 inches and could be turned with no resistance unlike the driverside cam wheel.

I removed the valve cover and the cam is broken in half. I have not removed the head yet to see what the valves look like? the motor oil is clear and where it needs to be on dipstick and coolant is also (before taking apart)

4:00pm decided to quit for the day

Might pull the head today but, I am so bummed I might just leave it for a bit and start riding my motorcycle.

ok, NOW it sounds like you need my heads. pull the heads and check the pistons for any cracks, chips or damage. i know someone (red or casey T or MM?) had a broken cam..... maybe they can chime in with what they found.

that is a rare occurence, but it has happened before. btw, which cam broke?

why not just swap that entire head, to avoid the guess work?

Not a problem I am going to find out exactly what caused this.

here is where I am at

10:00AM tow truck arrived (yeaterday) with my pathe

10:30AM I removed the fan, shroud,belts, timing cover

I noticed at TDC my driverside cam was dead on but my passenger side was off by three teeth

I also noticed micro small shavings (metal dust) in the inner cam wheels

removed the harmonic then lower timing case cover.

removed and examined the rolling tentioner and spring

the roller I could roll and it would continue to spin noisey bearings looked it had a torch held to it rainbow coloring.

having the crank TDC I adjusted the drivers cam to its mark when i did the same with the passenger side

the cam wheel came forward a good 1.5 inches and could be turned with no resistance unlike the driverside cam wheel.

I removed the valve cover and the cam is broken in half. I have not removed the head yet to see what the valves look like? the motor oil is clear and where it needs to be on dipstick and coolant is also (before taking apart)

4:00pm decided to quit for the day

Might pull the head today but, I am so bummed I might just leave it for a bit and start riding my motorcycle.

it was the passenger side, I have not pulled the head yet I am wonding if i should pull both heads?

and just make sure both sides are not hammered. one good thing if i do my exaust manifold will get fixed in the process

are headers a hassle to put in?

I have taken picture of all of this I will have to post

thanks again

It would be to your benefit to pull both heads just in case. As far as the headers are concerend, if you get slick's set, I would suggest for you to replace the exhaust manifold studs and install the exhaust manifold gasket before installing the heads back into the engine, space is very limited in the engine bay and it's a pain in butt trying to replace studs while the head is in the eingine. It is do able, some other members have installed headers themselves, slick and I included. If you take the route I recommended it should take you about 3 hours to install headers once you have the heads on the block.

Edited by solid snake

hey slick how much do you want for those heads? I am looking at

210.00 per head from autozone for salavage head with 1 yr warranty is that good?

just let me know

Hey guys here is an update on my dead horse lol! :deadhorse:

well I will let you watch the video not as bad as i thought :clap:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kharmafactoryr...293243463810802

snapped right after the first bearing

post-3973-1180753405.jpg

Hey guys here is an update on my dead horse lol! :deadhorse:

well I will let you watch the video not as bad as i thought :clap:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kharmafactoryr...293243463810802

snapped right after the first bearing

It is really interesting everything i have ever worked on with high miles looks nothing close to this

I was pretty shocked :wtf: