Automatic Tranny Slipping

1994 wd21 pathy 4x4 , Here goes. This is the problem I have been having with my auto tranny. I drive with the OD off from start to 35 mph and turn it on.But lately the tranny has been slipping as I start to accelerate.It just won`t go into gear. It just revs up. I have been religous about fluids and I have even added some Tranny medic to it but the problem is getting to be a more frequent occurance. The pathy has an external tranny cooler. Do you think that the cooler could be blocked or the tranny is just done? I am sorry that I am so vague but I am not the greatest mech, Any help would be fully appreciated, Elvis

does it slip going into all gears, or just when you shift it into o/d? i don't usually put king into o/d until about 45-55mph...

how does reverse work? good? sometimes?

do you hear any grinding/nasty noises? or is the slipping the only indicator something is wrong?

does it slip going into all gears, or just when you shift it into o/d? i don't usually put king into o/d until about 45-55mph...

how does reverse work? good? sometimes?

do you hear any grinding/nasty noises? or is the slipping the only indicator something is wrong?

Slick Thx for the reply. The tranny is slipping in all gears.The reverse is working just fine. There has been no grinding or other sounds coming from the tranny. Cheers Elvis

could your torque converter be going bad? *excuse me button, i wasn't done yet* ahem

have you checked the fluid levels? added the extra quart? (to make it up to 5 qts)

Edited by Slick

HUH? Adding an extra quart? Slick, I think you're confusing the AT, with the MT.

I'd be willing to bet your torque converter is shot as Slick said, but you could check your cooler as well. Pull the return line from the tranny and put the end in a bucket, and start the truck. Fluid should start pouring out of the line. IF not, you definitely have a plugged line, or tranny cooler.

Slick I have been checking the fluid levels hot and cold and according to the dip stick it says all is well.Does over filling the pan make it slip or sluggish? I appreciate your help on this Sick, Thx Elvis

if it says it's "fine", then you haven't overfilled it.

does it slip when the trans is hot & cold?

HUH? Adding an extra quart? Slick, I think you're confusing the AT, with the MT.

i know i know...... gimme a break :tongue: i get confused having both trannies..... brain farts do occur tyvm lol

and yes, as simon said, check your cooler lines.... if all is well there...... i'm going to go with my original thought of shot torque converter.

ps: what ATF are you using..... there are a few different kinds/grades

Edited by Slick

Sorry to say, but when my van's tranny started slipping, it was the beginning of the end. It finally broke loose and I had to fry the piss out of the clutches to get it around a corner and park it. Try 3000-4000 RPM at 3 MPH for slippage. ;)

my tranny went i had first and second and then it would just slip like hell and not go into third or forth.had like a top speed of 40 mph, great for around town when no one knows the difference.