Auto Tranny Experts

Mookie

So, I installed a used auto tranny that I had. A week and a half later it went. Damn! So I shelled out and got a rebuild.

Problem is, I can't get an acurate fluid level. My understanding is you check the fluid level with the engine running at idle and up to temp.

When I do this, it only shows about 1/4 on the dip stick. If I add fluid to bring it up to the hot mark, it starts to come out the filler tube. Obviously over filling.

So I drain fluid out. If I shut the engine off and check it that way,(engine up to temp) I can register a reading that way. But...if I leave it overnight and do a cold reading, it's way over filled.

Is my dipstick screwed up? It sure looks straight, but depending on how I insert it, I get different readings all the time. Air bubbles?

I believe I have approximately a little over 8 litres in it. That's about 8.5 us quarts.

Edit: Now I'm not sure how much fluid I have because the tranny came with some fluid in it.

How much does the tranny hold including the torque converter? My manual says 7 litres, but I was reading 14 quarts in some other posts.

FSM say: Should take 9 US quarts total (8.5L) with torque converter. Run it through the gears between adding fresh fluid to make sure fluid runs through all the valvebody passageways.

Thanks '88 - I wasn't running it through the gears between each add ups. Will give that a shot.

I do believe you need to have the engine on to get an accurate reading, as at that point, fluid is pumping through the cooler(s) and through the lines and tranny. I don't think you can accurately check it with the engine off.

I do believe you need to have the engine on to get an accurate reading, as at that point, fluid is pumping through the cooler(s) and through the lines and tranny. I don't think you can accurately check it with the engine off.

Thanks Simon.