Front Locking Hubs

dmag23

So here's something else I could use some feedback on. I've noticed that the front hubs get pretty hot after a drive. This Pathfinder I'm overhauling had alot of miles so I've been slowly replacing things here and there. I replaced the front wheel bearings a while back and noticed that after driving for a short while (10 miles or so) that the locking hubs would be very hot to the touch. I took an IR thermometer reading and they typically show 170 degrees after a drive. I thought maybe the stock auto locking hubs might be the problem, and I wanted to switch to manual hubs anyway, so I put on some new Warn manual hubs. Still shows temps up to 170 degrees. The bearings are adjusted correctly; just tight enough to remove the wheel play but not so tight that the wheels don't spin freely. The calipers and brakes are new so I don't believe I'm generating excess heat from sticking brake pads. I know the hubs aren't locked and spinning the axles when in 2wd so that's not a problem. Does it sound like the hubs are running hot or is this a non-issue?

^^^That does sound like a heat xfer issue to me, too. Maybe the pads have to seat a bit since they're new. Are you what is referred to as a "spirited driver"? Maybe you could change your driving habits for a couple trips and see if it makes a difference.

No, I really don't drive it hard. Stick to the speed limit and take my time on stops. Ok, so it sounds like normal heat buid up. I'll write this one off as a non-issue. Thanks to you both for the feedback.