Thorley Header - Hydraulic Clutch

Rusty4x4

i have 95 "auto" thorleys on my 87 with no issues...they may be concerned with skin temps and it getting close to the rubber line and are just use that as a disclaimer if u burn thru the hose and loose the clutch...

Edited by unccpathfinder

• 2 weeks later...
I have installed two sets on 5 speeds, but both were model 464-1's on '87/'88 pathy's. So that is probably not relevant to your question.

MWS - The stock manifold on the driver side has two screw in connections. One leads to the EGR valve and the other one leads to the air tube that ends up feeding the catalytic converter. Does the Thorley 464-1 come with both those fittings? Can the 464-1's be installed without lifting the motor up off the mounts? Is the long tube header (464-1) better for low end torque than the short tube header (464-2)? Trying to make a decision if I should go with the long tube or short tube header for my '87, 5-spd Pathfinder.

MWS - The stock manifold on the driver side has two screw in connections. One leads to the EGR valve and the other one leads to the air tube that ends up feeding the catalytic converter.
Correct.
Does the Thorley 464-1 come with both those fittings?

Yes. However, they can be a bit of a bear to connect up! Very little room in there, so take your time and use extreme care not to cross thread or tear up the threads. It helps to completely disconnect the air tube so you can align it properly. And disconnecting the stock parts can be a bear. Getting the EGR pipe out of the stock manifold was a real challenge for us. We disconnected the pipe from the EGR itself and removed the manifold with pipe attached. And then spent several days getting it to crack loose. Lots of PB, heat, and patience.

Can the 464-1's be installed without lifting the motor up off the mounts?

Yes.

Is the long tube header (464-1) better for low end torque than the short tube header (464-2)?

In general, long tubes are always better, but it is only an incremental increase.