Brake light switch

Nufy

I need to splice in to one of the wires on the brake pedal for my trailer brake controller.

There are two switches mounted to the pedal.

Which one should I splice into for my brake controller.

Probably buy I don't want to run any more wire than is necessary.

I can poke around with my meter but I was hoping someone with a full manual could tell me which wire is the cold side of the brake light switch.

Masta Chilton say:

There are two switches on your brake pedal. TWO! One is A.S.C.D. cancel switch for cruise control. One is for brake light. Switch on left is brake light switch. Now go! Make wiring work, grasshoppa!

• 2 years later...

Heya Guys,

He's talking about a brake controller (for electric trailer brakes) that sits up in the driver's compartment and not a connection for the lights.

Here's a Nissan FSM diagram:

http://www.themadores.ca/brakes.jpg

'88 ... This diagram shows the right one as being the brake light switch: It's from the '94 FSM so I'm thinking they may have changed things over the years :blink:

Here's the applicable wiring diagram with the brake switch (left-hand side, near the botoom) highlighted:

http://www.themadores.ca/wiring.jpg

What year is yours Nufy?

Cheers!

Gary

Edited by 94 Pathy Gary

Actually, I don't think it matters, they're both grounding switches anyway. ;)

Yeah.....

The electric brake controllers I've seen all seemed to be proportional to pedal travel (IOW, they're not just either off or "ON!") so I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around wiring them into a simple grounded switch.

Maybe the brake controller's proportionality is a function of the amount of time the pedal is pressed instead of how far it is pressed? :shrug:

Anyway, you're right: Both switches are identical in form and function.

Cheers!

Gary