Gear Oil specs

Grumpy

I am going to change the oil in the rear end and the front end and the transfer case on a 94 Pathfinder. I have a half barrel of Mobilube HD SAE 80W-90 API service GL-5 multipurpose type gear oil in our garage. It does have the LSD additive,

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS...HD_LS80W-90.asp

Any reason why I shouldn't use this product in this Pathfinder? I'm not clear on what is in the transfer case - some say Dexron, others say gear oil. We'll know better when we drop the old fluid.

Thanks

````````````````````````

Edit -

It occurs to me now that if the transfer case should have engine type oil in it, I may not be able to tell what it is by looking at it. Any thoughts on what type of oil is in this transfer case? The vehicle has a 3.0 engine with AC, and an automatic / overdrive transmission, in case that is relevant to the question.

Thanks again

there wouldn't be engine type oil in the transfer case .. .if their is ... you have problems beyond the scope of this BBS! ... hehe ... actually you should just have gear lube in there ... I dont remember the weight right off ... but that should get you pointed in the right direction ...

Would you believe I have a vehicle that uses engine oil for the power steering fluid? :)

`````````````````````````

I just found some info stating that GL-5 should NOT be used in some Pathfinder manual trannies, and to use GL-4 only.

I wonder if the rear and front end are OK with GL-5?

I just called Nissan at:

Nissan Consumer Affairs

P.O. Box 191

Gardena, CA 90248

(800) Nissan-1 (or 800-647-7261)

9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Eastern / Central Time

8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time

Monday through Friday

Not only did my call get answered in under 5 minutes, but the Nissan rep actually looked up the specs for our '94 - the myths are true - some Nissan manual trannies need an older spec of GL-4, (which can be a little tough to find) and the rear end & front diff case (or whatever you call the front pumpkin) can use GL-5, and the transfer case uses Dexron II.

GL-5 or above in a tranny requiring GL-4 is often reported to cause damage to the synchros, not that this is an issue for me.

I talked to a near by dealer and they told me to use 80w90 in the diffs (front and rear) and reagrdless they recommended to use one with LSD additive. I couldn't get a straight answer out of them on the t-case and manual tranny - well, they got really busy all of a sudden. At the parts store they told me t-case dextron III but I guess not dextron III/mercon though. I am gonna have to call another dealer to try to get to the bottom of this. Like you said, gl4 and dextron II are not widely available plus a lot of gear oil is rated gl3-gl4-gl5 compatable. :confused:

Yup yup. GL-5 in the front and rear diffs, shouldn't matter if has LSD additive. Manual tranny should be GL-4 75W-90, and the t-case from 90-95 evidently uses Dexron II/III. T-cases from 86-89 use GL-4 75W-90 just like the manual tranny.

So what's the difference between Gl-4 and GL-5? The OM refers to these as replacements and refers to the viscosity chart but the chart has the oils only in __w__ format. Same thing at the store. The gl note is on the back in small print. I haven't been able to get a good answer to that one either-just that it's a manufacturer's numbering system. That sure doesn't tell me much. I am not in petrochemicals.

I have posted this on other vehicular boards and have only gotten 'ya, you should use the recommended stuff' P...

So what's the difference between Gl-4 and GL-5?

Let's ask Sarah

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/february04/ask_sarah/

To the best of my understanding, GL-5 and above generally exceeds the spec of GL-4, but from what I have read, GL-4 is mission critical to some Pathfinder manual transmissions. Many say the GL-5 or above will attack the Pathfinder synchros.

I can't tell you what GL means, but I am fairly certain that the numbers hold significant meaning, as so many providers use this system. Perhaps the SAE came up with this designation. I'm striking out with Google on it. My guess is that GL may well mean "gear lube" but that's a wild guess. Apparently one can find GL-4 available as a lubricant used in some outboard boat engine lower ends. When an oil label reads GL-4, GL-5 & GL-6 compatible, imo, I would not use this oil in a Pathfinder tranny.

I have a Lawnboy 2 cycle mower that wants ashless oil in the fuel/oil mix. It can be a little tough to find, but of course, Lawnboy offers it in the same price range as computer printer ink. One day I discovered that Mobil 2 cycle outboard motor oil is ashless, and available at most Mobil gas stations for around 1/8th the price of the Lawnboy oil. :cool2:

GL stands for "Gear Lube", yes. The GL-5 is 80W-90, and GL-4 is 75W-90, generally. Different viscosity values is basically the only difference. Now, specialty GL-4 70W-110 or Synchromesh fluid...that's a whole nother thing. You can also get GL-5 in 80W-110, I think.

"When an oil label reads GL-4, GL-5 & GL-6 compatible, imo, I would not use this oil in a Pathfinder tranny. "

That's why I started asking questions. For now I have more time on the diffs. and tranny. I checked the fluids looked very fresh and full, so I'm gonna leave them alone until I can fully investigate this.

Now, my t-case was making noises that I didn't like so I drained it and fluid looked pretty dirty (no sweet smell) and wasn't very viscous. It was some kind of ATF. In the OM it says dextron II and "At the parts store they told me t-case dextron III but I guess not dextron III/mercon though." Any ideas on that? Can I use the III/mercon? Also, it sure makes sense to have same fluid in there as in the tranny (mine is manual - GL-4) Can I just fill up the t-case with GL-4 now? or is there a way to flush it or.....??? Just enquiring, I want to stay with the atf while I figure out if the t-case is going kaput or if it was just the fluid or what not.

I heard that aluminum t-cases have to have ATF because of some kind of corrosion additives. Any truth to that? I gotta get my tk out of my friend’s garage.

I'm going to try to call another dealer tomorrow hopefully, and I'll post on what they tell me. I just have too many pokers in too many fires right now. -alcohol-

Anyway, thanks for your input.

They're all aluminum cased, and mine specifically calls for GL-4. Most Toyota t-cases take GL-4, and they're all alu-cased, too.

Dex II is an old formulation. Dex III should have the same fluid friction-modifier characteristics and viscosity ratings that the old version of Dex had. Read the label on the bottle and see.

OK, this is what the dealers told me:

dealer 1: uses w90 in t-cases and that's all i was able to find out because then the telephone shuffle commenced and I got lost.

dealer 2: this is the one where my 1st tk came from, 75w90 in both t-case and manual tranny. They said that the gl#s didn't really matter and I could use gl-4/gl-5 compatable. (they use Nissan oil only)

so here is what's going in mine: 75w90 in t-case and tranny, and 80w90 in the diffs. I may mix in a bit of synth. oil eventually but for now will go with just straight dyno. Time to play around and just enjoy. :lol:

Thanks for all your advice. :beer:

off to get busy...

From http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/february04/ask_sarah/

"I read that GL-5 tranny oils eat away at the brass synchros in older cars (like KA's and SR's). Is this true or is this just another oil myth?"

"Gear oils contain extreme pressure (EP) additives that form wear resistant compounds with the metal of the gear tooth surface. This prevents metal to metal contact that could wear or damage the gears. GL-5 oils use twice the concentration of EP’s as GL-4 oils. If you use gear oil with too little concentration of EP, the gears won’t be as well protected.

>>>"GL-5 gear oils are required in hypoid diffs but aren’t used in synchromesh transmissions because the EP additives are chemically corrosive to yellow metal components, such as the brass bushings and bronze synchos in a tranny. The corrosion could shorten the life of the synchros in half. "<<<

-----------------------------

Sounds like it's important to use GL-4

I don't recommend GL-5 in the tranny [ok in the diffs]. I used gear oil labelled as "GL-4/GL-5" in my tranny and now have grinding when I downshift into 2nd or 3rd after only 130k miles. I switched to Redline synthetic [75W-90] and it quieted the grinding. But it still has a little vibration in the stick when downshifting. Hoping I can put off rebuilding the tranny for a while with the synthetic.

I also called the Nissan dealer about the use of GL-4 vs GL-5 and was told that it didn't matter. Sorry but on this one I will err on the side of caution. Read this from Pennzoil. in particular the "Gear Oil Notes". I considered Pennzoil Synchromesh when the grinding started, but glad I spent the extra $3/Qt [$5 for Pennzoil vs $8 for Redline]. You also gain better heat dissipation with the synthetic. RC

Just did mine to the owner's manual and it said DexIII for transfer, GL-5 with LSD additive(or 80W90) to the diffs and GL-4 75w90 "only" to the manual tranny.

The 90W is only good for temp above 0F which tells you really quick in our minus 40C winters...lot's of whining. :blink: