pilot bushing

milehighcowboy

ok so i am at the point that i am stuck hard core. i need to know if there is a pilot bushing on the automatic set up. i know there is one on the manuals but is the crankshaft and what not differant when comparing the auto set up to the manual set up. i am going to take a more indepth look at the crank here in a bit but dont want to proceed with out some info.

ben

i have heard folks talk about an adapter plate...i have used 2 auto engines (1 out of a 95 and 1 out of an 86 maxima) and i never found any thing remotely similar to the pilot bushing...i just pressed in the new 1...just hold the bushing up to it and if it looks like there is nothing in the way to obstruct it from fully inserting then i would assume that you have the same case as mine...

i know slick has something about it in her engine swap writeup

i tap it in very gently to not deform the brass and then once its in barely enough to stay there i put a socket (not sure what size) that matches the size of the bushing and hit the socket till its in there...sometimes i use a piece of wood flat across it till its almost all the way in

i spent a couple hrs trying to find this "adapter" in both of my engines and never found it...look at the end of the manual crank and the end of ure automatic crank if they look the same then theres no adapter present...if they're different then theres an adapter...

for old pilot bushings i take a 1/16 in drill bit and drill on both sides then take a flat tip and carefully break it through and pull it out...you can use clay and a dowl to press it out from the backside or go to autozone and rent a puller and slide hammer...