transmission help

adahy22

i m going to try and explain this the best i can

i have a auto trans with OD

so first when the car it s cold the tranny switch gears pretty hard which i think is due to the coolant is cold once it s warm it switch fine.

second,when i m in 2gear and i ease off the gas to get into third gear ,once in 3rd gear low rpm or from 1st to 2nd too, it feels like this:

when you drive a stick shift and you change gear but not enough power so it kind of poot-poot :confused: until i hit the gas again then it get out of that stage and go on fine

you got to understand i had a 92 mustang before and the tranny was pretty bad in it so i guess i got to get use to this.

but when i don t have the OD on it doesn t do this ?

so is it just me ??

or maybe it got to do with the factory coolant system which i m switching

oh and for you think pathy are underpower i beat a 2000-2003 mustang of the line (probably the v6 or he didn t hit it all the way but i really think he did)-bounce- but after i had me once i hit 40mph but still got it of the line with OD off of course.

sweet ,anyways thanks maybe i m trippin on the tranny but just wandering what is it or what can i do before to prevent the tranny from going out

thanks kevin

Want your tranny to last longer don't stomp on it off the line. As well, the trans will shift into a higher gear based on engine load, less load = high gear sooner, so letting off the gas will allow it to up shift sooner, if too soon, it feels laggy, normal. Shifts hard when cold, no idea why, nothing to do with coolant, be happy it shifts when cold.

Depending how hard you mean by hard, these trannys are known to have a hard second shift. I know mine's always shifted hard in second (when cold also) and I've had it for 4 years and 100 000 kms without problem.

As for your other description it almost sounds like a tranny chatter. Does it feel like a vibration almost like going over rumble strips along the highway? If so, it's probably a chater. Mine had this issue and I let it go until the tranny quit. I then drop the pan and oil and it's been going good ever since with no Chatter. I would however not recomend to wait till the tranny quits to change the oil. I was extremely lucky not to kill the tranny.

Denis

Does it feel like a vibration almost like going over rumble strips along the highway? If so, it's probably a chater. Mine had this issue and I let it go until the tranny quit. I then drop the pan and oil and it's been going good ever since with no Chatter. I would however not recomend to wait till the tranny quits to change the oil

that s exactly what s happening it really feels weird but my fluid is perfectly red or do you means another kind of oil

it s only right after it shifts gears and i don t hit the gas .once i hit the gas it works fine.

or when i m going up a hill and it shifts but still low rpm.

thanks a whole lot

since i m not a mechanic at all and cannot do any of the work but only tell you what s going on to the best of my ability.

i think when i ckeck the tranny fluid i saw some metalic greyesh things on it .

i will check tommorow to see if it s really there

[ Flush that transmission or drop the pan and see whats going on]

ok i really don t know how to do that ,what should i tell my mechanic??

My fluids looked perfectly red, but when you'd wipe the dipstick, if you looked realy close there was a grayish deposit on the dipstick (probably torque converter fillings).

ok if it has that on the dipsticks what can i do

can you explain to me what s is going on without auto terms so i can understand

what did you do?

is my tranny f'cked??

how long do i have ??

is this fixable ?

blah ,blah blah fill me in please

i will let you know for sure if it s there tommorow

thanks

Edited by adahy22

I think this is what they mean, You have to drop the tranny pan in order to access the tranny filter, so If you drop the tranny pan, and there is metal shavings in the bottom of it then you could have a problem cause your gears would be messed up. Your mechanic should know what to do and what to look for. Other than that I can't answer the rest of your questions.

A slight deposit of grayish/blackish material is from clutch discs. Normal as long as it isn't excessive especially if the fluid has never been changed. Have a shop change the filter and flush the tranny. This is a normall preventative maintanence procedure and just about any shop should be able to do this. Then I reccomend using an additive (if your shop has some you can use theirs or add some on your own later.) Also I don't have a nissan AT but so they take a special fluid such as nissanmatic? If so make sure that the correct fluid is used if not you can get all sorts of nasty chatters, vibrations and harsh/slipped shifts.

They will have to take the the trany pan off to clean or change the filter. The filter is a metal screen that can actually be cleaned, replacing the filter will ensure a new gasket on the filter which might not be a bad idea.

Then there is going to be some residue in the pan (hopfully if you have a good mechanic he will clean this also). Mine actually had quit a bit. This was the reason for my tranny not operating correctly, it was clogging my filter limiting the oil pressure in my tranny.

As for damdge done to the tranny. It's hard to tell, each tranny will react different. Your best bet is to see if your tranny works better after this. If so, drive it for a couple of weeeks and see if your problem starts coming back. If it doesn't you probably have many miles left.

I did the pan drop and oil change bit because it was cheaper than what the tranny shop was suggesting (a rebuilt tranny) and it worked. I got lucky, not every one does but it was worth the $200 or so that I spent to do this.

Denis

well i really didn t see any metal deposits so it s a good sign

check fluid hot or cold?

because i ask this and did both hot and cold and it s really low just wandering what to put in to top it off or should i just take it to a shop

thanks

well i really didn t see any metal deposits so it s a good sign

check fluid hot or cold?

Did you drop the pan or do you mean on your dipstick? Metal filings won't show up on the dipstick unless its extremely bad. The best way to check is to drop the pan. Black deposits (unless excessive) in the pan is normal. There should be no metal shavings/chunks or nor any brass. I wouldn't recommend cleaning the filter I would just replace it. Your in there anyway.

What do you mean by really low? This could be your problem. If it's low enough for your pump to starve from not enough oil, maybe your torque converter isn't locking up properly. It says hot and cold on your dip stick I'm pretty sure. If not it should be checked hot.

And I agree with meangreen that since your in there you may as well change the filter. The opinion on this varies on who you ask (since it's a metal screen technicaly it can be cleaned), but I just figure by replacing the filter you get an new filter gasket that makes for a newer, better seal.

well i check the fluid when i got the car ,the transmission fluid was plentiful then when i noticed the tranny was acting weird i check it again and there s nothing on the dipstick now.

i check to see if any leaks underneath the car but don t see any.

are they 2 differents oil in the tranny like

one for the gears

one which is consider the regular tranny fluid

since it s low what kind should i had to top it off?

on my first post i stated the symptoms but i now noticed that it s only really doing this in OD so maybe that would help when i leave it on all the time ,if i turn it off it s not

doing any of the symptoms,weird!!!

if i use it without the OD it s fine until about 50mph then i hit it and it goes on fine .

it s only rattling when i leave it on.

example if i hit the gas 3/4 of the way while in OD the car shifts fine

it s when i hit the gas very lightly and allows the gears to shift while going very slow .

once in 2nd and it s low rpm about 20mph i hit the gas enough to not give a power boost then that s when it rattles (or symptoms)but if i m in 2nd and it s rattling i hit the gas and i get the power boost and the symptoms goes away

if i repeat this without the OD on then it does not happen .

maybe it s me or maybe just not enough fluid or gear oil or i don t use the OD right .

with this new info maybe you all be able to help me better

thanks kevin

Sounds like converter clutch chatter. I don't know if these trans take a special fluid or not but if they do you need to make sure you have the right one. Also if your fluid is too the additives will start to break down and could cause some problems. I think your best bet will be to pput a filter kit in flush it then refill it that way you know what fluid is in, it how fresh it is, how full it is and if there was any evidence of other trans problems (grindings in the pan).

It definatevely sounds like a Torque converter chatter. This usually happens when your torque converter locks up when you reach cruising highway speed. If this didn't happen in a tranny, the torque would constantly be slipping somewhat and it would wear out quicker.

As per your description it looks like your tranny oil went down all of a sudden. Check around your tranny cooler and the hoses going back to your tranny for leaks. The tranny cooler is located in front of your radiator and looks like a smaller radiator. Follow the two hoses going back to your tranny and make sure there is nothing leaking along the way.

Once you've eliminated leaks, fill with fluid (Recomended tranny fluid in the shop manual says ATF 4 or Dextron equivalent). This is done thru the dipstick tube. leave the truck running and just add a bit at a time, too much is no better. wait 4-5 minutes and check again, sometimes it will take a while for the oil to make it down the tube in the tranny. Once you've check it twice and it remains at the proper level take it for a test drive and see. If you still have the chatter, then replace oil and filter. Depending when the last oil change was on your tranny, you might want to consider this anyway.

the model is 1990 pathy automatic with OD

i check the fluid while it was hot and everything is good .

the symptoms still happen so what next?

i was thinking and what if it was from the exhaust system that i feel the chatter.

not the tranny because once i hit the gas it doesn t happen ???

thanks

anyone on the exhaust system just rattling because it goes away .

or my other idea is that it s the gear grinding because like i say once i hit the gas it s fine

what can i do i don t want to get a new tranny and i m sure someone can fix it ?

and what the torque converter would have to do with this ,just trying to understand?

thanks

Edited by adahy22

The torque converter is the link that transfers power between the transmission and the engine. During normall operation there is a little slip "stall". To get an easy idea how it works picture too fans facing each other turn one on and it will spin the other one, only at a slightly slower speed. Same principle only with fluid in a torque converter. To get maximum efficiency out of the converter in high gear the converter will "lock up" eliminating the slip. With bad fluid or other transmission problems (bad converter) the converter clutch can chatter when it goes into lockup. Steping on the gas at highway speeds will kick the converter out of lock up.

If you still haven't done it I would get the trans flushed. It is a good preventative maintenance and you can look for any other problems (grindings) in the pan. Hope this helps

yes it really help

i guess i take it to my mechanic and ask to change the fluid and filter cleaned.

then ask them to ckeck the converter and everything else .

but can the exhaust system have any effect on this .

because it s only in low rpm after the gear just change ?

i pretty irritated about this problem.

i took it to aamco transmission and one guy test drove it and he didn t say anuthing about the torque converter

he said: it s late in @!*%fting from 1st to 2nd 2nd to 3rd

he said the rattling was coming from the exhaust system !?

i took it to someone else and he said to change the fluid and filter would be bad,i said heh P...

i will take it to someone tommorow to test drive it to see what he say?

then i probably have aamco do the a full check for free.

nut i so confused with what s going on ????

it s so annoying to not know what it is

i do have that ticking problem from the exhaust manifold ,i mean could that be it ??

and my tranny is fine

very irritated since i just bought the car for 2000$ and don t really have money to fix it

any ideas on what it could be ?

thanks,

i wish some of you experts would live closer to me ,arhhhhhhhhhh

i hate getting screwed from mechanic shop ,dirty .........you know what !!!

anyways on the good news i got my rims now all i need is my tires but debating on getting the exhaust or tranny problems fix before even getting my tires and aligment which in a way i need it bad because the inner rims is hitting my tie -rod or something like that because the bad space is to small.

what would you do ???

Ok, some mechanics say that changing the fluid in an older car, with a lot of miles (assuming the fluid has never been changed) will cause more problems, essentially saying that the old gucked up fluid is holding the whole thing together :)

personally, to me it sounds like it is your exhaust. If the shop guy drove it and just said it was hesitating between shifts, then i think that could be early signs of your tranny going out.

so just take it to a shop that will diagnose it for fee, and see what they say. and go from there, since you cant seem to describe it any better for us to help you.