Spark Plug Issues

abomb1

Last night I put in my new Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, MSD Heli-coil wires, new distributer cap and rotor. I took it for a drive and it ran better than it ever has. I was pretty happy with the results. This morning I take off to go to work and about a mile down the road, the truck just started sputtering like it was missing on some cylinders. I was able to limp it back home to take the car, but now I'm pretty frustrated.

Is it possible my plugs could have fouled already? I gapped them at .038. Also, it was running so smooth the night before and for the first mile on the way to work. I've read about others having problems with the platinum plugs not getting along with their engines, but have seen more positive results with platinum than negative.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what could have happened? Other than pulling all of the plugs again, I have no idea where to start on this.

Hold on....you gapped the Bosch Platinum +4's ?!?!? I don't think you're supposed to gap them. They're pregapped at the factory as far as I know. that could be the problem.

Guest 94PATHYTN

Hate to ask the obvious question. But are you sure all the wires are still set tight? I know #6 was bad enough on mine that the guy before me didn't even change the plug.

Hold on....you gapped the Bosch Platinum +4's ?!?!? I don't think you're supposed to gap them. They're pregapped at the factory as far as I know. that could be the problem.

If this is true, then that's my problem. I guess I don't understand then why all spark plugs aren't pregapped. I thought the gap was vehicle specific, but the plugs are used on many vehicles. Who else here installed platinum +4's?

The wires are tight, I checked them all 3 times before starting the engine. I found the easiest way to get them pushed down with those flexible MSD boots was to install on the spark plug before finishing the distributor end. I used the spark plug socket that came in with the Pathfinder and ran the plug wires through the middle of it. That would allow me to push down on the stiff part of the cap from a height I could actually get my hand into, and with a little dielectric grease, it popped right onto the plug. Then I bent the distribributor end and hooked it up.

OK, just called Autozone to confirm the no gap on the +4's and that is correct. I was told they will not work if you try gapping them. I guess its back to the parts store for me. Anyone want to buy a +4 keychain? sly

Thanks for the info Simon!

New plugs went in last night and after about 100 miles today, I'm very happy with the results. I didn't realize how bad the old plugs were and how I got used to driving like that. Makes it seem like a new engine now! :aok:

Guest Daddy

Ya, I just put them in mine with a set of new wires. They do NOT need to be gapped. Mine runs fine. Although I still have that F***ing hesistation at 40 to 65 mph. It's fine as long as I kick it down to 2nd gear, but sucks if you just try to excel to 65 mph normally. HELP!