Oil Cooler

barthel

Hey all,

Was just curious about those of you that are running an oil cooler, which one are you using?

My thought was to use the Summit #G4985 oil filter relocation kit the 88 suggested, thepipe the discharge from the filter block to a cooler, then back to the engine. I figured if I do it that way, I can use just about an old cooler I come across.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Guest SuperSon

hmm..Ive seen the oil relo kit but not the engine oil cooler..Sorry couldnt be any help. Where did you find a thread on that engine oil cooler though?

I dont see how an oil filter relocation kit would help keep the engine oil cooler

Just relocating the oil filter won't help cool the engine any. But, using the relocating kit you have 2 hoses coming out of the blank-off plate, 1 discharge, 1 return. These hoses run to the filter mount. If I take the return hose (back to the engine) and plumb in a cooler, THAT will help cool the oil.

I was just curious about what to use. I'm using a B&M supercooler for the tranny cooler, I didn't know if I needed anything that big for the oil cooler.

Guest SuperSon

maybe a bigger one than the one used on your tranny cooler?hmm ..something to add to my list again.

Edited by SuperSon

Racers in Japan used to use some fairly large coolers. I'd say the same size as the trans cooler would be fine. And yes, I was referring to adding a cooler, not simply adding a relocation kit, although you will get a small additional cooling effect from the filter being off the engine and the hoses as well.

Would I have to add additional oil to the engine if i put in a cooler?

Meaning it takes 4 quarts with a filter change, since I'm adding additional "space", will I need to put in more than 4 quarts to get it up to level?

Yes, you will need enough extra oil to fill the new lines and the cooler (and relo if you add that too) .. otherwise once they are full the engine itself will be low.

Check the oil several times after you fill it, because as the oil moves through the system you will likely have to add more until every thing levels out. Once you do that then you will know how much to add in the future.

Guest SuperSon

I wonder if it matters how far that cooler is from the relo kit. i was thinking doubling up on the tranny cooler and oil cooler since I have 4 explorer tranny cooler.Stack 2 together side by side in front of the rad,Would it affect the flow?

Guest SuperSon

I kinda figured it would be an overkill.I just happen to have thos 2 spare and it would me great if I can use all but if theres no need for 2 for the engine oil cooler then 1 it is :D

you would be hard pressed to find the room, and my oil seems to do just fine with the single relo kit.... and i live in hell, erm.. i mean the nasty hot part of cali.

i believe you get a small shot of cooling as the oil travels up the hose to the filter, (i can grab and hold my lines) i keep my filter well away from anything hot, and have had no problems.

and as 88 said.. racers use them, but they subject their vehicles to far more than a pathy would allow itself to be subjected to before fighting back :)

i'd do what red said..... sell them ;)