Engine Problems

JDM4x4

So the other day I was driving down the road and my car shut off. Then I tried to restart it and wouldn't. I let it sit for a few then it started up. Ever since then the car barely starts (barely turns over but starts ok) and then idle's like @!*%. anyone know whats goin on?? I thought it would be the alternator or something electrical but would that affect the idle??

:help:

I have had the same (or at least a similar) problem. If there is a little positive pressure on the exhaust, you get a sort of vapor lock and the engine will stall out. You will not be able to restart until the pressures equalize again. This pressure differential usually occurs when you accelerate hard and then let off the gas quickly. The exhaust backs up into the engine and kills it.

Check out your catalytic converter and/or muffler. There may be some kind of blockage or something.

• 1 month later...

That means that your power transistor for the coil is likely to be bad. They're a spendy little bastard to replace, though... mine was $110. You could always try to find a junkyard coil/transistor for cheap, it'd probably work fine.

• 4 weeks later...
I have had the same (or at least a similar) problem. If there is a little positive pressure on the exhaust, you get a sort of vapor lock and the engine will stall out. You will not be able to restart until the pressures equalize again. This pressure differential usually occurs when you accelerate hard and then let off the gas quickly. The exhaust backs up into the engine and kills it.

Check out your catalytic converter and/or muffler. There may be some kind of blockage or something.

I thought the A/B valve (anti backfire) valve prevented equalization issues. Or is the egr valve not closing immediately?