Auto Tranny to a Manual

tbear

Hey thinking about changing my 91 SE Pathy from a auto tranny to a manual. what all will I need (in parts) other than the tranny and clutch pedal? Will this all bolt up with out mods? Whats the best tranny any suggestions will be helpful. Oh by the way I will be looking for all these parts, if anybody is near me with parts. I dont want to have to ship them all the way across the Great USA.

Thanks

ok

- tranny (with shifter)

- either just the clutch pedal, (and then you would have to cut half off the brake pedal off) or do like i did and swap both pedals

- Master Cylinder

- Slave Cylinder

- All clutch lines going from master cylinder across the engine bay, down to the slave cylinder (also dont forget about the rubber line that goes from the slave to the rest of the lines, it allows the tranny to flex under torque)

- Clutch kit

- shifter boots and floor plate (its a little different from auto to manual)

- Also note, the bolt sizes that hold the tranny to the engie are a little different, the ones on the auto are a little shorter, but all of these can be ordered from nissan for about 20 bucks. i went this route just for simplicity. if you look in your manual they are all shown with sizes you need.

im pretty sure that is it. otherwise you can still use a lot of the auto stuff. then other little things you should budget for like oils, possibly a degreaser to clean up your tranny you get, or to degrease the whole working area under your truck.

it is all pretty straightforward if you have ever dropped a tranny ( i haddent but i researched it, and felt very confident, and having to wait 2 weeks for the nissan bolts :( i got the whole swap done in about 3 weeks...not to bad for me anyway since i did do it in my driveway :))

if you have any serious questions PM me, and ill give you my cell number and we can talk about it on the phone.

-sam

The problem with the dash is that the clutch pedal is mounted to a bracket, and that bracket(and the brake) has to pretty much bolt up behind the a/c ducting in the dash. If there's a way around that I'd like to be informed. :beer:

Like Sammy said about the brake pedal. You don't have to replace it, but you will have to at least cut off the half by the clutch. Otherwise they will touch each other,,, which would be a bad thing. :D

I did about 85% of the swap by myself in my garage. The only special tool I needed was a big floor jack.(I made a tranny cradle for it) You might want to look into renting or buying a tranny jack. They're even better than having a buddy drinking all your beer, er I mean helping. :rolleyes:

You're luck. chances are you'll get a tranny from a earlier model and you won't have to deal with swapping an electronic speedo for a analog(cable) speedo. The worst speedo's are the ones on the fat guys at the beach. :oops:

Take a bunch of pics and do a nice write-up. I wish I would have, but I was in a hurry to get it back on the road.

Good luck if you decide to do it.