Auto Transmission Problems

tbear

Hi maybe someone can help me with this problem I have. I own a 1991 Pathfinder VG30 engine with the RE4R01A Tranny I have had problems since I bought the truck with it staying in lock up. The tranny failed (Clutches) I rebuilt it replaced all of the solenoids in it during the rebuild, also put in a shift kit. I still have problems with it staying it lock up. This is how it works, Shifts good to 2nd, Drive and OD, after a while 2-3 miles it will go in lock up for about 1/4-3/4 mile (sometimes it goes in and out before staying in) and drop out and will never try to engage again unless I switch it off for about 30 seconds and once agian the proccess starts over. whether I switch off while coasting on stop and switch off and start again. I bought a book when I built the tranny and I check the computer and it told me it had a bad revolution sensor. I have called several nissan places and some do not even know what that is. The only other thing that does not work is the Tach? The only thing I gained by the rebuild is replacing the worn clutches which I think this maybe caused by the lock up problem. If you can help please let me know.

Thanks, Ted

is the output of the revolution counter electric or mechanical?

if electrical i would be putting a voltmeter across it and go for a drive

if its any thing like a vss it will have a pulsed voltage that changes with speed

let us know if you get anything

It is electrical. The speed sensor is a magnetic reed switch that feeds the ECU voltage pulses so it can calculate your speed. The rear diff sensor is for the ABS. The TCU is behind the wall panel in the rear under the window on the passenger's side(US passenger, heh). It's gold anodized/plated with three mounting legs and two wiring plugs IIRC.

Hi 88pathoffroad I got a guy to send me a revolution sensor what he sent me was one of the 2 on the transfercase. It was the one that is on the side of the transfer case (passenger side) not the one that is on the top just above it which I think is the one that shows that it in 4 wheel drive. I dont see one on the tranny itself. You wouldnt have a pic that could show me where it is do you? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ted

Just to let you know I have replaced the revolution sensor Tranny computer and it still falls out of lock up?????? I did not reset the computer after I replaced the revolution sensor! Maybe I will disconnect the battery and see if that might help. I dont know if I told you but the tachometer does not work either???? I am going to look in the wiring diagram and see if they are connected in anyway? I am pretty sure it works I removed the cover on the cluster and moved the needle up, when I cranked the truck it went back to 0 and bobbled. If you have anymore ideas up your sleave let me know.

Thanks for all the help Ted

The RPM's(tach) shouldn't have anything to do with the tranny. Maybe if you get the tach working the ecu will know what's going on and then maybe it'll stay locked up.

My tach never stopped working when I swapped out the automatic tranny for a 5 speed. I do however have a check engine light that I can't get to go out because the ecu doesn't know how fast the truck is moving. (Speed sensor code 14)

Hey anyone got the instructions on checking the tranny computer? I had them in a ATSG manual I had but now I cant find the book. Its got the wiring diagram I needed for the tranny in it also. I any of you guys can help I would be grateful.

Thanks Ted

• 4 weeks later...

How hard is it to get to the revolution sensor. Manual calls for the removing the transmission mount and supporting it with a jack, then lowering the transmission as far as you can. Is this the only way to get to the revolution sensor? thanks Terry