Key Troubles

When I bought my 91 Pathfinder, it came with 2 keys, both were not original. A couple days ago, my locks froze and while I was trying to unfreeze them, broke a key. No problem, except the backup key feels very stiff while turning the ignition and can barely open the outside locks, so I pretty much have to leave the pathy unlocked at all times, which I hate. Plus now, if this one breaks or I lose it or w/e, Im screwed.

I took it to get copied, and the new copy does not work. i havent been back to the place where it was made (a real locksmith, not wal-mart or anything), but I was wondering if I could get a key directly from a Nissan dealer. Usually, there is a key number in the glove box, anyone know where it is on the 91 Pathfinder?

thanks

if only the "original" key was ever used, as mine was when i got my pathy, one key (the less worn key) will feel stiffer in the locks.... because the other key was used continuously, it wore down more. my original key is now my spare, as it is slightly bent and i don't want it to break, but it will take care of me in a pinch.

either have the new key you had made ground down a bit more (take the pathy to the locksmiths) and try the key each time.. until it works. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I got a key copy cut at Walmart because my Pathfinder came with only 1 key (good idea to have a spare). First couple days with the new key was "tight", but works fine otherwise. I spray silicone lube on all door locks and various parts that need to be lubed.

We lost our only key for our honda took out the lock cylinder and took it in and there is a code on it for them to make a key. If that doen't work they can make a key from the lock cylinder. it cost less than $20

It sounds like your key is a simple miscut.

Do you still have both parts of the broken key?

If so, a locksmith can use them to copy onto a new blank. This is also useful for visual comparsion of the two keys to point out the miscut depth/spacing allowing for recut or brushing down.

Otherwise just pull a door panel and get the code...it will be stamped on the lock case. Call this number in or drop the cyl off and you should be out no more than 20 minutes and $20. :aok: