Front Suspension Control Arms

black95

I have had my pathy for about a year now and I have enjoyed a lot. Though this last oil change, and starter replacement, I noticed that there was a bolt that was missing from the front lower control arm, drivers side. In reading other posts and other sites I have found that these bolts come loose quite often. I still have two of the four complete and one needs a nut, and I think I will replace them all just for safety sake.

The question I have is this, I want to put on a 2-3 inch lift, but I have found none that would replace those bolts, does anyone know where I could find replacement bolts? I really don't want to get rid of this truck. Other than the starter going out I haven't had any major problems, I plan on relocating my oil filter on with my next oil change to help save my starter.

The bolts I am talking about are in the included picture.

post-6-1168547692.jpg

Same here. I suspect the bolt had been loosened somewhere along the line and not properly re-torqued.

Which brings up a good point - that is a critical bolt and must be properly torqued to the factory spec when you install the new one!

I thought it was a little weird that they had come out. I am definately going to make sure that they are torqued correctly. Thanks for the heads up, every where else that I have found had said that they come loose and end up missing quite often.

• 2 weeks later...
OMG, just go to a junkyard and get the bolt, and take a 1/2 impact and tighten the piss outta the bolts. problem solved.

NO NO NO! Absolutely NOT.

Critical fasteners MUST be tightened the correct amount.

Over-tightening will overstress the fastener, leading to eventual failure.

Under-tightening will result in the fastener coming loose.

If you do not understand or believe in the importance of proper torque on fasteners, please cease working on any vehicles driven on public streets. Someone is going to get hurt by your mistakes.

• 3 weeks later...

WAVEY

YES, I must agree with MWS on over tightening. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT over tighten. You can have an issue like this one.....Darn pic's....SuperSon.....You might want to loosen yours up. They are suppose to be 80 ft lbs.

Guest SuperSon
WAVEY

YES, I must agree with MWS on over tightening.  DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT over tighten.  You can have an issue like this one.....Darn pic's....SuperSon.....You might want to loosen yours up.  They are suppose to be 80 ft lbs.

I coulda swear it says 100 ft.lbs on chiltons...Im going to check it later. I know for sure that it got rid of that annoying pop when I thightened it about 4 months ago.

Thanks

Edited by SuperSon

Guest SuperSon
Let's try this pic.

Wrong pic. Thats your upper arm :confused:

Is that the trailmaster 4" lift you got there?

Edited by SuperSon

OMG, just go to a junkyard and get the bolt, and take a 1/2 impact and tighten the piss outta the bolts. problem solved.

Yes, make sure that you put some hairline fractures in the bolt so it breaks in the near future at the most in-opportune time... :crazy:

i tighten bolts to what feels good, after working on cars and trucks my whole life i kinda know the feel.

hmmm....... i tend to use a torque wrench to tighten ALL my bolts.... that way when it buzzes (yes i have an electronic torque wrench from SnapOn) i know there tight :D

all-data comes in handy as well

Yes, make sure that you put some hairline fractures in the bolt so it breaks in the near future at the most in-opportune time... :crazy:

works for me, never had a bolt break or shear. i use a little common sense and there are things that NEED to be dead on, but a 12mm grade 8 bolt? i guess different strokes for different folks, that just seem overly anal. and BTW, a grade 8 bolt will never have a hairline fracture, it breaks in two or strips thread. :secret: