obd2 scanner

br2an

I am looking at purchasing a scan tool (not for my pathy, she's too old)

Anyway, does anyone here have one that connects to their laptop? If so, how do you like it? Is it easy to use? and especially how is the software support?

Thanks in advance

Brian

I guess it depends upon how much you are going to use it. In my job, I bought a scan tool from Matco. I got a killer deal on it, but normally its really expensive. I can look at a lot of different voltages and such to help the repair process. Some tools will only do engine codes, some will do more like Airbag, ABS, CAN/LAN systems and other contol modules that can create codes. You might want to look on Ebay or Craigslist in your area for a good deal. Or go cheap and visit the local parts store and see what they have.

Oh, mine does connect to the computer if needed. There are updates that you can purchase also(software downloads). It also runs circles around the Snapon scanner the rest of the guys use in the shop.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

I just ordered a pc based tool (I guess you'ld call it a tool) from Palmer Performance.

It is really just an adapter that goes inline between the laptop and the ecu. About half the price goes toward the software to run it. It seems to have a lot of features above that of simple code reader. The main one is realtime reading and graphing of various sensors.

I now have two obd2 vehicles (03 Accord and 01 Integra) and I want some way of reading codes and performing diagnostics if troubles occur.

It will work with CAN but won't do abs or airbags.

I'll let everyone know how it works after I receive it and try it out a little.

Thanks

Brian