Who sells CBs anymore?

Oliver

I was lucky and picked up a Connex 3300 HP-ZX (an export radio) with a Road King mic for $40 at a pawn shop....the pawn shop guy didn't know what he had......the mic alone was worth $40 used.

A plain Cobra 25 or 29 will do just fine on the trails and on the highway, but whatever you get, take it to a well known CB shop and have them peak and tune it for you.....that will ensure that you are getting the most from your radio.

I'm with everyone else on the coax and the antenna.....make sure that you have good quality coax and that your antenna is tuned properly, if not, it could burn out your radio. I am partial to the Francis line of antennas. A good mic is hard to beat too, I would recommend a Road King 56, but any high quality noise canceling mic will work.

Currently I am running the Connex 3300 HP-ZX with a Road King mic and a 5 and a half foot Francis fiberglass whip. My SWR's are about 1.1 and the system altogether puts out about 60 watts. Not only do I use mine on the trail, but I also keep it on when traveling. You'd be surprised how friendly the truckers are if you just talk to them, they have saved me many a ticket.....a CB sometimes works better than a radar detector.....hehehehehe!!!!!

Not only do I use mine on the trail, but I also keep it on when traveling. You'd be surprised how friendly the truckers are if you just talk to them, they have saved me many a ticket.....a CB sometimes works better than a radar detector.....hehehehehe!!!!!

I agree, I take frequent trips from Ohio to Maryland, and truckers let you know where the cops are hiding right down to the mile marker! :aok:

• 2 years later...

I only have a 2mtr Ham radio in my truck. Once I get a few bills paid off I will probably upgrade and put a dualbander or maybe a tribander in the Pathfinder. I just like the feeling of having more than 40 channels to talk on.

Oh .. Yes I am an Amateur (ham) Radio Operator since 1992.. It's more than a hobby.

Years ago after I first got my Ham license I bought a new Kenwood Tri band mobile TM742A I think it was, it had two bands installed and a slot for the third, think it had the 2 Meter and 440 range , it was a cool unit the display could separate from the rest of the unit, and as a lot of mobile ham radios are the mic had like every button on it so you could hide the other part away. Also had a tri band antenna.

This is a picture of one like the one I had:

2cymdsj.jpg

I tried using it for a while but the local hams seemed like the were all stuck up and there wasn't many that wanted to talk, so when we moved down here to Florida, after removing it from my hardbody, one night I hooked it up to my power supply I brought into the house, stuck the magnetic base of the antenna onto the AC unit outside, and got on one of the 2 meter channels, they had like a swap and shop on a certain night of the week and I put it up for sale, guy called me, we met and I sold everything. I got the best hand held (at the time) Radio shack scanner plus a bunch of cash for it !

I have way more than 40 channels on my export CB ! Just CB seems dead now, even the skip is bad. Still good if your going off roading and friends have one to do close communication.

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to have one of those tri-banders in the truck. But the Pathfinder will probably just get a dual bander. Dont really have plans on taking it off road much, thats what the Toyota truck is for. Plus the Pathy seems to have developed a knock on the way home from the tire shop. Hope it can be a quick fix.