steering box/gear 87-89 vs 90-95

twotirefryer

my 89 pathy's steering box is toast. talk about driving like ass. simply no more adjustment before it goes all sticky. anyways, can someone tell me the difference between the early vs. late model gear box's? since a rebuild will run me ~280 for parts from nissan, i'm thinking a junkyard will be the way to go. add that to the fact i have never heard of one going tits up(a search yielded nothing). if it means i need to go the that later style "big taper" steering thats fine, as i am waiting on gettin a new box to order the L&P stuff just in case i run in to unforseen issues there. 4 door style parts are everywhere, 2 door stuff is getting hard to find.

thanks guys.

Dustin

The only issue you'll have moving to "big taper" stuff is that your outer TRE's will be small taper still, as you probably aren't changing the knuckles.

As far as I can tell, the steering boxes should be the same, and even the taper sizes shouldn't matter, as I believe the way the pitman arm mounts on an early, or later WD21 is the same.

They both mount up the same, but the pitman arm and sector shaft are larger on the 90-95's. The taper on the pitman arm's hole should be the same(connects to the CL, which interchanges from 87-95), it's just the tie rods that went bigger.

My steering box died on me once. Sector shaft seal went and it was just gushing fluid out the bottom...$100 later and I have a junkyard box.

88, the CL doesn't interchange from 87-95. There are small taper, and large taper CL's. I do not know, however, if the taper changes on the pitman arm, and idler arm side, but it definitely does on the tie rod end side.

My bad, I thought they were the same. Sorry. That'll teach me to make assumptions!

They are different. Well, at the very least they have different part numbers. :)

So, if you wanted to change boxes, you'd have to swap the box, the pitman, the idler arm, the centerlink and the inner tie rods. I believe you can use outer tie rods for the 89 and keep your steering knuckles.

• 1 month later...

So do you know if the tapered spline on the Pitman arm to the steering box shaft is the same between models? 1992 to 1994 with the bigger taper on tie-rods.

I have just modified my steering with my own version of the L&P type system but now all the drag-link and tierods are firm, I can feel that the box is very loose. Tried tightening it to the limit but no good.

I have a newer 94 model steering box available but not sure if it will fit my newly braced pitman.

Geordie

The "small" end of both pitman and idler arms are all the same, ANY year, ANY truck, as long as it has a Centerlink. The "Big" end of the pitman arm is different. Up till about 1993, they used a smaller sector shaft, and hence, a smaller "big" end on the PA. From 1993 on, ALL trucks (with a CL) use the same size PA. They are NOT interchangeable. So, if you have a 1994 Pathy, you can use a Xterra PA on it. Same part. There is a NOTICABLE difference on the splined hole in the "big" end. I can identify them on sight. If you compare them, it's REAL easy to see. It might be advantagous to "upgrade" to the newer steering box. Bigger sector shaft would have to be stronger, methinks. However, I don't know if X or Fronty steering boxes would work, only becasue of the steering shaft connection. Stick with a Pathy/HB box and you should be OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Phill and 88,

I will check the dimensions of the shafts before I change the box and pitman over.

The only problem I can see with the upgrade is that I have already had the 1992 pitman arm braced and modified for an L&P style needle bearing drag-link. OOPS.

Might have more mods to do.

I am also searching for bigger tie rod ends that have at least as much travel and the correct bend angle. I have found out the hard way that most of the aftermarket tie-rid ends that I can get in Australia bottom out on the max ball joint travel just as the suspension reaches full drop. They bend real easy.

Jeep KJ tie rods have the same taper angle but slightly bigger than 1994 Pathy, so only need to reem out slightly on the drag link and knuckle (and make up a new adjuster rod to fit the thread). However, KJ Jeep tie rod ends do not have the bend for the ball joint to be slightly angled "Bugger".

G

Yep 88 and Phil,

what you said is also correct for the Terrano.

I have just had a look at the steering box on my 1992 Terrano and on a 1994 model.

The sector shaft spline at the big end of pitman arm on the 1994 is visibly bigger (as Phil said) at about 31.5mm measured just above the pitman arm while the 1992 has a shaft of only 28.5mm. So I will have to swap the steering box and modify the bigger pitman as well.

It's never simple is it, but at least I have found out before unbolting it all.

Thanks

Geordie