Replacing struts/shocks but do I need springs too?

muttmobile

I've got a 2wd 2001 LE with 87k. Not looking for lift and I don't off-road (obviously since I've got a 2wd), I just want better handling and ride. I've read just about every struts/shocks/coils post I could find with the search and have roughly decided on KYB GR-2 struts with either Bilstein, Rancho 9000, or KYB shocks. I'm still not exactly sure whether I can fit the Rancho 9000 or Bilstein in the rear though. seems they fit pre-2001 paths, but I'm not clear on the 01-04s.

But my main question(s): should I replace the coils/springs as well? how do I know if this is necessary? will simply replacing the shocks/struts be a major (and less costly) way of improving the ride?

thanks,

al

I've come across a new question in my search for new struts/shocks:

If KYB GR-2 struts are OEM (meaning what was on the truck to begin with, right?) why do people seem to be so impressed with them after installation? shouldn't it basically feel the same? is it simply because most people are replacing old, worn-out shocks, so it feels much better though it's essentially just bringing the truck back to how it drove new? or am I missing something here?

-al

If KYB GR-2 struts are OEM (meaning what was on the truck to begin with, right?) why do people seem to be so impressed with them after installation? shouldn't it basically feel the same? is it simply because most people are replacing old, worn-out shocks, so it feels much better though it's essentially just bringing the truck back to how it drove new?

Yes, that's what's happening. My OEM struts didn't have much damping left when I replaced them with GR-2s at almost 100K miles, so there was a big improvement.

The KYB GR-2 struts are not OEM. I replaced my OEM's with them and yes it was a drastic improvement.

hmmm....well I've seen them listed on many sites as OEM. perhaps it's because i have a different year truck than you.

http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/...bsorber&dp=true

http://rep.racepages.com/parts/racepages/w...showdc=true#top

perhaps it's not the same exact shock (specs wise) as the original, but it is, nonetheless, the manufacturer who is licensed to make the 'original.'

has anyone had any luck finding bilstein shock absorbers for stock height 01s? cause i haven't. all i've found so far are KYB, MONROE, RANCHO (5000 and rsx1700, not the 9000 series), and OME.

Edited by muttmobile