Rare axle in '97 SE?

ACP97SE

The differential in my '97 SE is toast and I took it to a local driveline shop. They're telling me that the rear axle for my 97 with LSD is hard to find, and you don't even wanna know how much they're wanting to charge me. They had a used one sent out but the squarish mounting plates on top of the axle had different holes so they had to send it back. I don't know much about the axles in these things but I don't think it could be that rare...Any info would help.

That shop is wrong, they aren't find to find. Any Pathfinder (96-04) should have an identical rear axle as you do with the only option being an LSD vs. open carrier.

What parts of your differential are toast?

It sounds as if the axle the shop ordered came from a Frontier or Xterra since it's the same rear axle but mounting for the springs is different.

Frontiers and Xterras dont have springs, I don't see how your rear axle could be toasted, its a h233b! only thing i can think of that happened with it would be ran on low fluid or the pinion was wobbling around inside the carrier and screwed it all up. if thats the case just replace the 3rd member. even if that axle that the shop ordered was wrong, if it was out of a 33 spline axle the shafts and 3rd will interchange i think.

Well, I think the axle changed somehow around the end of '96, for the '97 production year because when you look up the axle at online used parts places they ask if it was manufacured before or after a certain date in late '96. I know it has the HG46 axle and I think I read somewhere that the spline count changed around 97 so that could also contribute to it. I dont think that every h233b ever made was identical. I saw the one they originally got and it was the same as my old one, just the spring mounting brackets had a different number of holes in them for mounting. I've read on other off-roading themed message boards about the hg46, and everybody seems to want one, but say they're so rare and expensive. I don't think many people on this site ever have to deal with replacing them because they're bulletproof, so I guess not many people have a good idea of the value of one. I have no clue how the gear originally got messed up. When I got it in Sept. it had a small whine that only got worse. When I changed the fluid originally it was very metallic looking with a lot of shavings. The shop said the fluid was the same looking, just three months later.

The rear axle is identical through out the whole r50 production years. just because they ask if it was producted before or after a certain date in 96 doesnt mean its axle related. I just think they got you the wrong axle. Why not replace the 3rd member? if its just the gears that are messed up. the rest of your axle is fine, unless somehow it screwed your axle shafts.

Yep, something you're reading isn't correct. I guess one thing I didn't mention is that you should get an H233 from a '96 to '99 since the lower shock mount will be different on the 99.5+. As for the different number of holes on the spring mount, there shouldn't be ANY holes. The 4.6 gears are what people are after (HG46) however they aren't THAT expensive or rare. I've seen a few sets of gears (front and rear) go for $200-250. I had the chance to pick up the entire rear axle out of a local R50 for $150, however I didn't check the gear ratio on it. Spline count is identical from 96-04.

Is it only the gears that got messed up? If so, it would be best to pick up an entire 3rd member from a junkyard with the 4.6 gears installed so you don't have to pay a shop another $150 to set them up. It's really an easy install believe it or not once you have a spare 3rd.

Where are you located?