Odd headlight problem!

kbreitwieser

Today when I got home from work, I look outside and the pass. side head light and the two fog lights on my 95 were on. I opend it up and messed with the fog lite sw. and was able to turn those off, and turned the regular lights on and off a few times but the pass. lite wouldn't turn off???? I then put the key in and turned the car on, worked the switches a few times, shut them off and shut the car off and all is well again (for now)!

Anyone ever have this happen? Or is my pathy haunted by ghosts???? Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

Karl

Could this be a problem similar too/opposite of the headlight switch contacts inside the switch? Normally they stop touching/get dirty, causing your lights not to work. Maybe the contacts in the switch are stuck together. The power to the foglights comes from your headlights to the foglight switch, then to the relay, which turns on the foglights, so if the headlight stays on, that explains the foglights staying on as well.

definitely the switch problem

pull the switch apart clean & straighten the contacts

Aaron, Jim cann we make the head light switch a sticky please

• 1 month later...

Well the light problem went away for a little while, and then the other day came back... So I finally took out the switch and took it apart to clean and rebend the contacts, but I found the real problem... the switch had melted in one spot and was still making contact no matter what I did to bend, clean, etc...

So.. the solution? Go to everythingnissan.com, and they have an oem replacement for $55 including shipping. Patiently waiting for it to arrive, in the mean time unplugging the switch every time I park the car. PITA Any way hope this helps others that run into this problem... Good luck.

The switch comes out as a whole assembly. If you take the cover off the the steering column (top&bottom) the whole switch comes out which includes the blinker switch as well. One wire harness plug and two screws will get it out. Once you get it out, there is a thin plastic cover over the contacts of the switch, you can use a small pick or screwdriver to pry it off. Also there are two more screws that hold the contact assembly in the switch body, you can remove them and then bend the tabs to remove it. Take it apart, and clean all of the contacts, rebend them slightly, and you should be okay... you can clean the contacts with fine sandpaper or steel wool. Look at the contacts and the housing carefully for signs of arcing and melting, if you find either it might be time to replace the switch. I will try to take pics of it soon, so everyone can see what it looks like... If you have anymore questions feel free to pm me or reply to this post. Good luck