Help!

ILoveMyPatty

Okay well I need to get this done ASAP. I pulled the lower trailing arms off today (had to zipcut the bolts off...) And I pulled all of the rubber bushings out by hand, with my fingers, no pliers.

What I'm stuck on is the Poly bushings I got from AC look too big, diameter wise.

Is there a metal sleeve inside the trailing arm, from the stock bushings?

Here is a picture. (sorry about the quality.. my camera is being goofy)..

post-9-1166067575.jpg

Yes that inner piece that you see that's about 1/16" thick needs to come out. We took an air hammer to take mine out. If you don't have an air hammer you can try a die grinder or a dremmel with a good cutting wheel to cut across the metal sleeve. Although you should try to damadge the arm the least you can, it isn't too crutial to the install of the new one.

Denis

That's how mine came out. Try to get in between the two pieces so you can start ripping them appart. The whole sleeve should start slidding out once you get part way thru. I know one side on mine was way easier than the other.

Denis

Estimated time? I'm taking the arms to work tomorrow to get the new poly bushings pressed in, and I'd like to have them ready to go. But if not, then I guess I could try to squeeze them in with a big vise we have in our shop.

Thanks alot Denis, I really appreciate the help! :D

No probs ILMP, that's what this site's all about. :beer:

One of them was out in about 2 minutes and the other one took about 10. Both of them came out with the air hammer. Do the Polly bushings have a metal outer sleeve? If so, depending on the type of press, you might be able to push the old bushings out with your new ones as you press the new ones in.

Edited by denisb

I agree and would use 10.8 grade bolts with locking nuts. Standard nylon insert lock nuts (don't need high grade hardened versions) will be fine for this application, as the loading is almost exclusively shear loading.

Depends entirely on where you buy them...

I have mom and pop (well, actually it is a pop and daughter!) fastener store here in town where they sell bolts from the bulk boxes at about 1/4 to 1/2 what the big bin warehouse stores sell them in those stupid plastic bags...

But should be no more than a buck or two apiece