replacing engine v30e

jgt

hi experts, clueless newbie here, please don't boot me yet! Acquired a 92 XE 4x4 and didn't have a mechanic look at it before I got it. My mechanic friend checked the compression and said prob. 2 worn rings. :( My only option here (haw. islands) right now is a used '93 engine for $500 from a wrecking yard. It has 112k and no warranty. If I get it (he gives his word it's good, but can't do compression test) will I need to make sure that it has any special parts or markings to be sure everything fits? it's the VG30E. My mechanic friend will install everything, but wants me to pick it up as he's busy all week. Any advice would be appreciated. julie

also, should I look into getting a quest or maxima engine? I want the swap to go as smooth as possible, thanks again folks

Edited by jgt

I don't recall what's in the 92 but I have swapped my vg30e in my 95. My advice is to get teh engine and do a few 'rebuild' steps prior to doing the swap. Some items are a pain in the arse to get to when it's in. In my opinion, you should replace:

timing belt

water pump

thermostat

cam seals

spark plugs (even if you just install #6)

Also, I would obviously check the hoses for any signs of dry rot or cracking and replace if needed

upper and lower radiator hoses

fuel rail connection hose (3" long under intake manifold) make sure to tighten the clamps on this even if you don't replace it

heater hoses

etc.

Give the new(er) one a good once-over before installing.

Also, check the plastic parts around the EGR valve and intake manifold (rear right). This is an area they the idiots at the boneyards break while hoisting the engine out.

Hope it goes well for you.

In North America, it's the VG30e from 1990-1995 for all Pathfinders. That engine will work fine, follow K9Sar's steps though, as those tasks are much easier to take care of with the engine out.

thanks a millions guys. Found a '94 off a 2wd (80k) hardbody truck. per your advice, I'm replacing:

water pump

clutch

thermostat

t-belt/tensioner

rear main seal

cam seals

I see the exhaust manifold studs may need to be replaced. Is this true for '94 also? Is this the correct part and how many do I need?

Dorman Exhaust Stud Kit: HELP!®; 1982-1992 GM; 10mm 1.50 x 77mm; 2 Per Package

Part Number: 03104 (checker's auto online)

I'll post pics when all is said and done. :beer:

I just had my VG30E swapped. No warranty? Sounds like a BAD idea. If he swears it is good, why can't his money back it up? But still, the money for the engine isn't the worst part. The book time is 12-14 hours labour to swap the engine.

Ask Slick, it is a big job!

Definitely get new exhaust manifold studs. They were pretty cheap from the dealer.

Good luck, but wait for an engine with a warranty!