Towing with pathfinder

blamtro

I have a '97 4X2 pathy with the auto trans and have been contemplating towing for some time now. I have a 21' Sea Ray boat; the whole rig weighs about 4500-5000 pounds. The towing cap. according to the manual is 5000 pounds. I have an electronic brake controller installed. I am not concerned about fuel milege.

I have done several small tow tests around town with it and it handles fine, just slow. I have everything set up right, the trailer and truck sit level. What I am really concered with is how the pathfinder will hold up. I would like to install a trans temp gauge as I know heat is the major killer of auto transmissions. Currently, it has the factory auxilary trans cooler inline with the trans cooler built into the radiator.

Anyone's thoughts on this?

I was reminded about my dilema by this thread: http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=12085&st=0

Just be sure to keep O/D OFF when you're towing that load, keep your speed below 65 (preferably 55-60), and you should be fine. I towed a similar load 200 miles last winter without problems.

You'll want to keep an eye on your temperature gauge. You can monitor your actual coolant temperature with a Scan-Gauge.

Edited by XPLORx4