noise when shifting between 4H and 4L

Guest sbridges535

Guest sbridges535

I have 2 questions. My wife and I are on the verge of buying a '98 Pathfinder, but we are totally new at this.

We noticed that when shifting between 4H and 4L (following the owner's manual instructions), there's a pretty terrible engagement noise (at least it's terrible to my newbie ears). Question 1...is that noise normal?

Question 2...the Pathfinder seems to be in excellent shape inside and out and top to bottom, but is there anything we should look for specifically?

THANKS for any feedback!!

Guest sbridges535

BTW, there happens to be a '99 SE here at work, and I just found out it makes the exact same engagement noise.

I'm guessing that those both are automatic transmissions, right? Mines a manual and makes no noise at all, but I have a clutch to push in. Specifically, you might want to make sure the exhaust manifolds aren't cracked, they have a tendency to do that. Otherwise, you can check the FAQ's or some of the topics in bold at the tops of the forums to see other potential problems. B)

Guest sbridges535

Yes, they're both automatics.

And thanks for the specifics to look for!

Do it in one swift motion from 4-hi to N to 4-lo.

Stop the truck.

Put the Tranny in N

Pull the transfer leve to 4-hi

Push it down and pull to N then follow through to 4-lo ... in one motion...... don't stop after N or hesitate otherwise you'll get the grin.

Another way is to shut off the engine, enage 4-lo and start it up again... no noise :)