Popping in front end

gasouthern

I took my pathy off road this past weekend, and in 4 wheel drive while climbing a pretty steep hill, the front end began to make a loud popping noise. This was the first time I have heard this in 4 wheel drive. The truck drives and sounds fine in 4 wheel drive when not trying to climb a steep incline. It didnt sound like anything coming from the suspension. It almost sounded like their was a gear that was skipping under the tork. The guys that went with me said that my steering was shot because when I was trying to climb the hill, my tires just pointed in and were trying to plow the dirt rather than climb the hill (if that makes any sense). My question is, could bad tie rod ends, which I have, and a bad center link cause this kind of loud popping? I put a new cv axle in on one side, and I think it was the side the noise was coming from. Could an axle that may not be seated completely cause this noise. The volume of the noise was very loud too. Thank you.

I have automatic hubs. The CV axle on the side that it sounded like it was coming from is brand new. My only guess would be the steering because it is pretty shot, but I just didn't know if popping tie rod ends could make that loud of a noise. Thanks.

If you didnt reinstall the hub correctly it will pop...just something to look at, and it's not all that uncommon to get a bad cv axle from the parts store.

This is what happened to me, but it only popped one time each time when coming out of reverse and then going forward.

Was it multiple popping noises or just once or twice?

Edited by dagwoodzz

It was multiple popping. It was fine on a low incline, but once the incline increased and I really had to hit the gas, it was multiple fast poppings until I let off and rolled back down the hill. While trying to climb, all 4 tires would begin to spin and the truck started hopping a little, and that is when I really heard them. I will check the hub, but I thought I put it back in correctly. Are the any schematics on how to put it in place correctly? I appreciate all of yalls help.