It won't start again :(

Gotrek

Well it's back. I don't know what it is, when it gets below -10 Celsius my Girls Pathy won't start.

It'a 1992 nissan pathfinder SE (automatic 3.0), every winter when it gets below -10 the truck won't start. Typical bad starter sypmtoms.

Turn the key all the relays click then nothing no draw from the starter. Battery is ok but on the dying side (still green on the battery acid tester and 12.6volts) terminals are squeaky clean, cables look ok. She's had her starter replaced last year for the same problem and a new battery which she returned, Boosting doesn't help so battery isn't the issue. I even took the battery from my chrysler no difference.

I tested the battery while I tried to crank it but there didn't seem to be a draw of power.

I'm guessing maybe her battery cable to the starter is bad but I can't reach it to test (starter on these trucks is tucked right up between the frame rail and motor mount I can't get to it.

Any ideas? Seems to be a common enough problem according to google but with obvious solution. Where is the starter relay on these trucks? I hear the realy click but that doesn't mean it's still good.

I got it going... Looked at her old starter (which I had kept) No drain hole. no drain hole = frozen solenoid.

I just held the key in for 5 seconds, let it rest 5 seconds for about 10 cycles and that thawed it out and it fired right up.

Stupid not to have a drain for condensation when the starter is so close to the exhaust.

I have the same problem in cold weather with my 95. I remedied it with a magnetic block heater on the oil pan. Before I had the heater I got nothing when trying to start but now she fires right up (that is after several hours with the heater on, like overnight)

:) Sure sounds like it... It did it again just yesterday, My girlfirend said I know how to fix it, She got out kicked the bumper full force and she fired right up... :) Amazing what a little force could do.

She got out kicked the bumper full force and she fired right up...
LMAO!!!! :clap::clap:

I have been known to move the gear selector to Neutral, rock the pathy a bit... But eventually I end up pulling the Starter.... Last time it actually bench tested good... Cleaned all the connections, positive and made sure I had a good ground on the starter... Still starting :hide:

Hi there, I just got a '92 XE and the previous owner had the same problem. Looks like he had replaced battery, start, and ignition assembly (twice) and the relay. Looks like the ignition assembly has worked (for now) and we'll see if it hangs in there for the long run!