Another custom intake

speedbuggy67

I put up a post about the deckplate mod for toyota's and also did my homework on snorkels for our trucks. I really wanted to add more air coming in my airbox and adding a hole with a pvc cleanout plug was an answer but that didn't satisfy me as it woudl be sucking in hot engine bay air. On my last trip ot paragon i went though water deep enough that a few splashes of water managed to get inside the airbox but not enough to change the trucks performance. Anyway i looked at the snorkel post http://www.jimbennett.net/home_made_snorkel.htm and used stock components eliminating the oem silencer and making it another source of air coming into our airbox sucking air from inside the fenderliner near the door hinges. Throttle responce is better as its sucking air not just through the oem 2.5in hole but through the 2in hole in the fender. I didn't have to modify the factory airbox at all and used the stock elbow to attach to the pvc elbow and 2in pvs pipe that ran inside the fender. Here are 2 pics of the pipe and elbow that attaches to the airbox. I don't feel there is any negative effect and costs less then 5 dollars. Only side effects are when floored you get more of a v6 roar which most people on here would love and you hear the air at idle sucking when the drivers door is open. let me know what you think. The second part of this mod in th future will include rerouting the oem piping to the front of the airbox so when you enter a deep stream crossing and only the nose goes underwater or you have a big bow wake you won't suck in water. remember by adding this second opening your only have less sucking power through the oem opening so less chance of sucking water in is a plus. I don't feel putting a snorkel on is necessary as i don't want one visually (my point in having the pathfinder is to NOT draw attention to myself) but want less of a chance of sucking in water when the water is 3ft deep or so.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/spe...ff/PB100310.jpg

in this pic you wil see the factory resonator next to the new elbow and 2in pvc which i bought in lowe's which everything slides together with a little umph.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/spe...ff/PB100312.jpg

in this second pic is looking in from the bottom of the drivers fender with the fenderliner not yet reinstalled.

Scott

So basically you replaced the oem piping that runs forward and down with a piece to run backwards into the fender. Cool. Though it seems to me that you might have some problems with your tire splashing water up into the fender and the pipe sucking it in. Is that going to be a problem?

BTW If you have no problems I think I might do this mod too. Snorkels can come later. :)

Edited by Oliver

I didn't replace the facotory intake hose that comes out from the front of the intake box. I replaced the side hole which leads to a big plastic box with no exit so i guess its a resinator. I used the elbow that lead to that and attached 2in pvc to it so i am sucking air from 2 places the orig spot in front and this side location and best part is it can go back 100% stock if you don't like it NOTHING was altered. Yesterday i just bought a90 deg turndown so i won't hear the air sucking so much from the fender. Water won't get sucked in cause you have a fenderliner below this intake.

Scott

I just had a coniption! :idea: Couldn't we just remove that resonator box thing and leave it like that? The stock elbow would be sucking air in directly from the fender area and you wouldn't need to add the additional piping...

Whaddya think?

• 2 weeks later...

yeah just removing the resonator box will do the same thing but i'd rather be sucking air farther back but for the lazy guy yeah just disconnecting the box will work..... Ive had it done for 2 weeks no ill effects and at wide open throttle sounds outstanding. Ive driven in plenty of rain. My next mod will be routing the front of the airbox to suck air twards the door hinges for those deep water crossings and the bow wake you might get.

Scott