The Great Spare Tire Debate!

MichiganAve

What should I do?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• 33" spare with rear bumper
    • 31" spare

Background:

I will be going with 5in lift and 33x12.5 MTs on my QX4. This is my daily driver and I am asking about carrying a spare for daily use. I can not fit a spare on the roof because of garage clearance. I can only fit a 31 aired down in my stock spare location.

Option 1: Full sized spare with bumper ~$900

To carry a full sized spare I would get a rear bumper with tire swing for $650-$800. The matching wheel/tire combo is another $250. I might get back a few bucks for selling my rear bumper or trailer hitch (say $75). I could get back a few bucks for selling my useless manual hubs (say $100. I can't run them on my all-mode transfer case). I'd probably add a rear-view camera for $50 to my in-dash monitor due to the reduced visibility.

Option 2: Smaller spare ~$50

I could air down a 31 and fit it in my stock location (say $45 used). I would leave on my otherwise useless manual hubs in case I get a flat, so in a pinch I would unlock the fronts and run a 31 and 33 up there to get somewhere. I'd get a manual pump to air it up ($5).

I agree with Dan...

as for reduced visibility, I thought I would HATE having the spare on the back of my pathy, but it's not too bad... I got used to using the side mirrors pretty fast.

Well, I was used to using the rear view... it was hard going from a pick up to an SUV... there is a lot of crap in the way between me and the back window...

I've had 4 people ask for my hubs and they aren't even for sale, lol. I'd need to get their full-time flanges in exchange though. I'll decide on that if I end up with a full sized spare.

The spare won't fit in the back though, I've got too much stereo equipment.

Not really Kris. He's got an issue, and wants our input. Every thread deserves real responses. If you have nothing constructive to add, stay in the off-topic forum. P...

As I said before, if you're going to go through the trouble of the Prado Lift, you'll be better off if you do a rear bumper mounted spare tire. Not only will your truck look less mall-crawler with the tire mounted safely out of harms way, custom rear bumpers add like 30HP. Just ask Pezzy!