rear wheel drive?

Guest jeterl

Guest jeterl

Hello, I'm new. Can anyone tell me how does the 2000 rear wheel drive perform in snow and ice? This is my first truck. It has the leather int. and the power sunroof which is great, but is this truck safe in the winter? I was thinking about taking it back to the dealer and exchange it for a 4X4 suv. All the dealer have is a Honda Passport 4X4 which I heard is known for flipping over. I really want to keep this Pathfinder, but not if rear wheel drive is bad during winter. HELP! Thanks. L. Jeter

"Known for flipping over"??

Where'd you hear that? I guess if you drove it around 90 degree corners at 55 MPH and hit the brakes, it'd tip over, but so would most SUV's.

The 2WD's perform just as well as any other vehicle in ice and snow, which is to say, if you don't have a LSD rear axle you'll probably end up not moving at all...

It has to do alot with the driver more than the car. If the roads you wanna drive down a plowed you should be fine, but if you think your gonna go down a snowy road you need to learn how to control it and would probably want to put some sand bags in the rear for weight.

My Pathy is pretty much worthless in the snow in 2wd, but that would be due to mudders and a lead foot. :X Practice, practice, practice. Its really just fine if you use common sense. Just about any car will get around in the snow, short of a Mustang.

Guest jeterl

Thanks for the responses so far. I feel better about the snow. As far as the Passport flipping over, my husband said he read it somewhere on the web a while ago. But I'm loving this truck so far.