Running poorly and check engine light ?

zack1978

Hi everyone,

Yesterday was the first time that my 1995 Pathfinder was driven or started since Aug 4, 2006. It has been sitting in the garage. Well when I took it out yesterday, after about 10 min of driving the check engine light came on, and when it did the truck was running like crap, bucking and very low on power. Then the light would shut off, and the truck would be fine. After about 40 min of driving the light stayed off andf the truck has been fine since. The o2 sensor was replaced about 1yr ago. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Zack

PS: Do you think it has anything to do with the truck sitting so long?

Shes mad at you for neglecting her....

Did you run the error codes?

No, I didn't run any codes. I am not even sure how to do that. But it seems ok now. However the 4wd shop told me not to drive it all because the frame is VERY unsafe, so back in the garage it sits! :sniff: It seems so weird that it was just flashing on and off.

Zack

My guess is that it was just GRUMPY from sitting for so long. Engines do not like to sit for long periods of time (unless properly set up for long term storage) and upon running it again, maybe a plug got fouled just something quirky like that.

My 1990 se one day just started running like crap while it was idling in the parking lot, and I drove it to my friends shop to have it checked and before we could pop the hood, it "magically" starting running just fine again....and has been ever since. Its my daily driver too. He said sometimes carbon can get wedged into the spark plug gap and sometimes it will eventually clear itsself out or you just have to pull the plugs to check.

Maybe it was a compression issue until the oil fully circulated again?

whats wrong with the suspension? sounds like control arm bushings shot? Just replaced mine as my mechanic said the same thing when he drove it...."this thing is unsafe with that rear end wobbling all around....." etc etc...

-Chris

My guess is that it was just GRUMPY from sitting for so long. Engines do not like to sit for long periods of time (unless properly set up for long term storage) and upon running it again, maybe a plug got fouled just something quirky like that.

My 1990 se one day just started running like crap while it was idling in the parking lot, and I drove it to my friends shop to have it checked and before we could pop the hood, it "magically" starting running just fine again....and has been ever since. Its my daily driver too. He said sometimes carbon can get wedged into the spark plug gap and sometimes it will eventually clear itsself out or you just have to pull the plugs to check.

Maybe it was a compression issue until the oil fully circulated again?

whats wrong with the suspension? sounds like control arm bushings shot? Just replaced mine as my mechanic said the same thing when he drove it...."this thing is unsafe with that rear end wobbling all around....." etc etc...

-Chris

The frame is rotted badly in the back!

Zack