Error code

merlinx

Hi all. I had a check engine light. I have a code 1447 evap I know I searched the previous posts here and they gave me a good idea of the problem. What Im wondering is what do you guys think I need to replace. From what I deducted you most likely have to replace the charcoal canister (I have little pellets all over the hoses). If I just take out all the loose charcoal or actually remove the charcoal thats left do you guys thing it will stop the light from coming on? That is after I blow all the lines.

Also the light comes on, I have a code reader so I reset the ecu and the light wond come o again for another day or two, any reason why?

Thanks for any help

Edited by merlinx

Those little charcoal pellets will get in every component in that system all the way up to the purge control vavle under the hood. Yeah, blow out the lines several times and you may want to inspect all of the components. Replace the canister at the end.

Those little charcoal pellets will get in every component in that system all the way up to the purge control vavle under the hood. Yeah, blow out the lines several times and you may want to inspect all of the components. Replace the canister at the end.

Im wondering though, if I blow out everything and just remove the charcoal from the canister, wil that take care of the check engine light? I dont want to spend $160 on the canister.

I replaced both by canister and vent control valve two years ago for under $100 including shipping. Funny, I can still find the canister for around $60 online but the vent control valve really went up.

There are 2 sets of part numbers for the 97. 97 Pathfinders with a mfg. date before 4/97 used vent control valve 14935-54U06 and canister 14950-1S717. 97 Pathfinders with a mfg. date after 4/97 used vent control valve 14935-54U04 and canister 14950-1S718.

If you replace both you can use the newer parts which were much cheaper when I was looking. If you're looking up prices for the old part#s that might be why you are seeing a higher price for the canister.

After you replace the bad parts, just reset the light with your code reader again, and the light should stay off. The reason why it comes back after a few days is due to the logic in the ECU. It won't set a CEL until it detects multiple occurrences of a particular fault under certain driving conditions. In your case, that happened to be a couple of days.

I replaced both by canister and vent control valve two years ago for under $100 including shipping.  Funny, I can still find the canister for around $60 online but the vent control valve really went up. 

There are 2 sets of part numbers for the 97.  97 Pathfinders with a mfg. date before 4/97 used vent control valve 14935-54U06 and canister 14950-1S717. 97 Pathfinders with a mfg. date after 4/97 used vent control valve 14935-54U04 and canister 14950-1S718.

If you replace both you can use the newer parts which were much cheaper when I was looking.  If you're looking up prices for the old part#s that might be why you are seeing a higher price for the canister.

Where did you get the parts so cheap? I called the dealer, gave them the vin and they gave me a part #14950-1s717 , they want $155 for it and $128 for the control valve. Where can I find it for $ 60? should I also replace the control valve? I looked at the other set of part numbers from the dealer and the canister is $95 but the Valve is $128

any help or leads would be appriciated. thanks

Edited by merlinx

Here's what the FSM Says to check for 1447.

1447.JPG

Yeah I read that checked the first 5 items from the service manual for this code, first 5 items were fine then I tried to see if it would be fine but the light came on again. There were a lot of Granules though so I figure it must be the canister clogging something up

There were a lot of Granules though so I figure it must be the canister clogging something up

The charcoal is getting past the o-ring seals on the canister then. You'll need to replace the canister, as it has been "fatigued" as well as the O-rings and blow out the EVAP lines. That should take care of it.

I would suggest replacing the valve on the canister at the same time, with the updated (post 4/97) parts. :aok:

I replaced both by canister and vent control valve two years ago for under $100 including shipping. Funny, I can still find the canister for around $60 online but the vent control valve really went up.

There are 2 sets of part numbers for the 97. 97 Pathfinders with a mfg. date before 4/97 used vent control valve 14935-54U06 and canister 14950-1S717. 97 Pathfinders with a mfg. date after 4/97 used vent control valve 14935-54U04 and canister 14950-1S718.

If you replace both you can use the newer parts which were much cheaper when I was looking. If you're looking up prices for the old part#s that might be why you are seeing a higher price for the canister.

I looked up the newer parts and they were about $30 cheaper. The valve was more expensive but the canister was about $60. Total came out about $30 cheaper. Is it worth it? Does it make a diffrence or are there any modifications that must be made if I use the newer part?

I found them at everythingnissan.com

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. LewisNC100 thanks for the part numbers, I say your post on a different web site as well, guess you have helped others with this before. I ordered the parts form everythingnissan.com for about $160 total with shipping. It was the chapest of all the sites. I hopew this takes care of the problem.

Jason

That vent control valve price really went up.  I bought mine 2 years ago for $24.19 and now they're over $100.

Well, it's not $24, but you can get the valve for $88

http://www.nissanparts.cc/cart/?pn=14935-54U04

or

everything nissan (enter part number 14935-54U04)

Edited by XPLORx4