"Rear control arm bushings"

ILoveMyPatty

Vehicle wobble or shake in the rear at highway speeds or after driving over a bump: This usually indicates worn rear control arm bushings. Replacement of the bushings is a fairly involved task requiring use of a press. New bushings will solve this problem. There are two upper control arms and two lower control arms, with 16 bushings total to be replaced.

This is a relief to find this here. I've been experiencing this lately and to say it's unsettling is a bit of an understatement. I've already spent $1300 on one garages "fix" that did nothing to help the problem. (Ah well, needed new shocks and struts anyhow...) I'll have to wait until after xmas to fix it thanks to the last "fix" eating up the money for it. Does anyone have an estimate on a ballpark figure on how much it costs to do this?

Okay so, I was digging around in the Tech section and found this. This is a problem I have had since I bought my Pathfinder almost a year ago. I thought it was just the shocks. I replaced the rears (one was broken off the axle mount) it helped a bit (at least it felt like it). I didn't replace the fronts, but anyway.... This is what I'm faced with; the "wobble or shake in the rear at highway speeds". It's like a body roll, but intense. Almost like speed wobble, but in the rear half. It also does it while accelerating at around 60mph. It's actually kind of scary, I made a road trip to southern Washington and it seemed like it was getting worse on the way down. Now, I'm faced with this. It sounds like I need to replace these. I haven't looked at them to see if they're shot, but from what I read in the quotes above, it sounds like that is the problem.

What I am wondering is; has anyone had this problem, other than Lupin or Trvlace (they posted about it in the Tech section, but I need more info).

I just had this done, and you need 4 sets of 2 bushings each. For a total of 8 bushings and not 16.

That quote was from Trvlace.

Where would be the best place to get this done? Nissan dealership? Local garage?

Any ideas on an approximate cost? And, where can I get these bushings, does AC sell them (I'm going to be ordering the 3" SL from there so I figured I would get these in the same order).

Thanks alot. :D

I didn't think we had rear control arms...?

Trailing arms is what they're called aren't they? From the frame angling back to the axle.

Well something is fudged, and this is exactly what it sounds like.

I don't know what to do... Would I be able to check the bushings without taking anything apart?... I doubt it, but just thought I'd ask.

They're set up the exact same way on the rear axle. Control arms, trailing arms, axle links, whatever you want to call 'em.

Have someone shove the back end back and forth while you lay under and watch the rear axle control arms. If they wobble back and forth excessively, there you go.

I'm glad I found this info. My 95 does the same roll over wavy roads and the bodys rear end seems to dip when taking corners. I've looked and they sure look old. When I bought it I was told that new shocks were put on recently. If I was going to lift her would I replace the bushings anyway, or replace and lift at the same time? :confused:

The warranty for my Pathy just ran out on the 28th of September... looks like I'm not getting this repaired for free from the dealership... :(

NOoOOoOOoooo.

Oh well, I've got a redneck neighbor that might be able to do it for me...