Dash Lights

buzz

Has anyone replaced the globes behind the speedo/dash display. My 1991 Terrano dash lights appear dull (no adjustment to increase intensity!!) and I would like to see what speed I'm doing at night!! Is there a limit to increasing the wattage of globes before something is overloaded ie cable, fuse or printed circuit board etc??? I have pulled out the dash when rebuilding the vehicle 2 years ago so logistics is not a problem - just curious if anyone has had same problem and rectified it???

Buzz

:beer:

Hmmm, you don't have a small round light adjustment switch in the dash under the guages? Wierd.

You could try using LED bulbs as a swap, you can get them in different colors and they're pretty dang bright. The down side to considering that is that they're pretty expensive. The up side is that they consume very little power so they won't be a impedance to your electrical system.

I tried LED's, but they looked funny because they projected light straight out, so there were spots of bright light next to dull areas between bulbs. But, I've seen bulbs out there that advertise difused light going out to the sides as well. Haven't tried them, though. The bulbs in my dash had blue plastic covers over them to change the color, but it seemed to make them dim too. I replaced them with blue colored bulbs and its nice and bright, with a blue tint. Maybe you could get more light by just pulling the covers off the bulbs?

I have pulled speedo cluster etc out and have removed bulb from back panel(with copper track ) Looking inside hole there appears to be a blue inner cover?? How do I get to them to remove?? How do I remove / dismantle the plastic housing without damaging something internal ie speedo needle?? There is obviously a split between the white rear body housing, the black face and the clear front but I'm afraid to venture further without some advice!!!

Buzz :beer:

If you turn counter clockwise those plastic clips should come off. It's odd that your lighting should appear so low, because I even painted mine with green nail polish to get a greenish tint to my clusters. My cluster is not as bright but it's still bright enough to see fine. Also that bluish tint will peel of those bulbs, almost like a mini condom. He,he. and the bulb can also be pulled out of the black plastic holder. I beleive the bulbb it'self is a #73 wedge bulb. 95% sure anyways.

Yeah, I've been working on pinball machines for 15 or so years and these pinballs were 20 years old when I started working on them. Some of them used "wdge " bulbs back then. I think the wedge part is the shape of the bottom were it fits in the socket.

Guys,

Get over the "wedge" thing please! I need to fix this before Friday so I can use the vehicle.

I agree that the bulb is a pull out style wedge and it is fitted by a brown twist fitting into the back of the "dash/speedo cluster" BUT the bulbs are clear and the blue cover is IN the hole inside the main dash speedo body. How do I take that apart to remove the blue covers inside??? The main body appears to snap together as a back, centre and front clear moulding but with manual speedo/needle fitted between back and centre moulding, I don't want to pull apart and cause a disaster

Any ideas???

Ok I pulled my Speedo Assy Off the shelf to see what your looking at. Mine is an 88 Gauge set so i cannt be too specifc, But The little brown holder that holds the bulb is what i beleive you are refering too. This Houses a Bulb Part # 152. Sylvania Makes these Bulbs in diffrent colors, BUT they also make them In HIGH INTENSITY also. You can also Look in the Bulb Section at your local Autoparts Store and see what other Types of Bulbs that have the Same Physical Attributes (shape and Somewhat same size, just the bottom you need to be Concerned With really). Look for a bulb that draws a little more amps than the current one. This will give you a little more intesnsity. But i also find it odd that there is no Dimmer control. Are you sure that someone Didnt Attempt to replace it, Remove the retaining Nut and Drop the resistor Pack behind the Dash? Hope above helps. If thats not the right Bulb #, Let me know. ill Pull some of the others and see what i can find or what else i can do to help

The needles should pull off the posts with needlenose pliers if you're CAREFUL. Note where each needle was pointing so you put them back on the right way. I can't tell you how many people I've seen say "Yeah, I got this cool new white indiglo guage face set that lights up green and blue and red and neon orange, but all my needles are off cause I didn't remember where they were supposed to point when I put 'em back on..."

Thanks for all the input. I might tread carefully at first and use the old "trial and error" approach by fitting a couple of different types of bulbs till I find the right intensity. I may get lucky and not need to perform surgery with needles etc.

Does anyone know the wattage for these bulbs??

Thanks