06Exterra Problem Big TIME...

cvearl

I know this is not an Exterra forum but some of you GURUS know quite alot and might have somehting usefull to tell me. :)

I have a friend with an 06 Exterra and I live in Canada. As it is getting colder, a problem is developing. There is cold air blowing into the cabin from under the steering column tilt lever opening and hitting me in the legs. The draft is strong and the colder it is outside the colder the air blowing on me gets and thereforre more noticable. If driving into the wind it is horrible.

Even when the vehicle is warm or even hot and stationary it still comes in. This was not as noticable in the summer but now that fall and going into winter has arrived it is getting worse.

I have looked at several other units on the lot now and they all have this problem. There is a HUGE openeing that is not covered by any kind of a plate or insulation. Open wires.

I have had trouble getting anyone at the dealerships to talk about it. They say. Sorry they are all like that. Have a nice day.

Anyone else having this MAJOR issue?

Is this also on previous year models?

What have you had to do about it? Response from your dealer?

Charles.

I havent heard of others with the new Xterra (doesnt start with an E) with that issue...

It's a new truck, should this not be covered under warranty? I'd be making a trip to the dealership they got it from.

88 do you know where WV is?? I am just kidding mang...they use duct for everything...I am sure venge knows whats up! we call it WV Chrome around here!

I have seen rubber grommets at tractor supply stores that you may be able to slice open at one end and push around whatever wires and make that leak snug!

Ok thanks everyone...

Ya mis-spelled Xterra.

Anyway,

The dealership "modded" the truck for her. I have not asked her how it went yet. She had to kick some ass to get it done as there was no Tech Service Bulitin and they said they all do it. Not sure if they mean 2006 model year only.

I will pass this info along.

Thanks again...

C.

Not to sound like Mr consumer protection...but...that doesn't mean that there won't or shouldn't be one (TSB)...I would have kicked some arse too. Those new trucks are too much $$$ to settle for a screw up at a factory, or something over looked!