antenna...

yar1

my antenna finally got stuck in the up position, how do i get to the motor/belt that drives it? i looked under the hood but didnt see any access to it. do i need to go through the glovebox? it used to need help starting down but would finish on its own, now it wont go down at all, will it need a replacement belt? ive heard these are plastic? thanks.

yea you'll need a new antenna mast. which is practically the entire antenna minus the motor. you can get one HERE. Practically, you'll need to unscrew the "washer-bolt" deal that surrounds the antenna at its base by pushing at the slots on it with a hammer and a flat tip screwdriver. this should give you access to removing the antenna and the "belt" of it since your antenna is at its fully extended position.

thank you for the info on how to remove it and the ebay link. is it possible to look at the belt and tell if its stripped? will there be obvious signs that its the belt and not the motor? thanks :)

the belt should look like a plastic strip, with teeth on one side...teeth should be missing or worn out if the antenna mast is bad. if it's ok, then you know the motor or gears are bad. i busted mine while turning my radio on while in a snow storm last season...and the antenna was frozen...luckily the gears are stronger than the antenna mast, i'd hate to go in there and try to swap out the motor mechanism.

if you're going to use the hammer/screwdriver method, point the screwdriver away from the truck hehe...the last thing you need is a screwdriver slipping and putting a scratch on your fender =P try and see if pliers work first hehe

if you're going to use the hammer/screwdriver method, point the screwdriver away from the truck hehe...the last thing you need is a screwdriver slipping and putting a scratch on your fender =P try and see if pliers work first hehe

oops, i scratched the fender before the trying the pliers. anyway, i pulled it out and all the teeth look good, but when i put it back in it catches on what i assume to be the motor/gears but when i make it go down, it just clicks, i did get it to go down once but then it didnt go back down.is the antenna cord supposed to end with what looks like part of it missing?