Hi from New Guy Needing Help

Guest ajhen61

I changed the rear breaks and now I CAN NOT get those drums back on. I thought maybe they had sold me the wrong brakes so we checked and checked and according the computer and ADVANCE auto parts they are the correct ones. The brakes seems to be just maybe an 1/4 of inch too wide.

Any sugestions before I resort to having the drums turned to give me more room!?

Note: I have the adjuster all the way in and still no luck!

Edited by ajhen61

The brakes seems to be just maybe an 1/4 of inch too wide.
That's because they're new and not worn down yet. Hmm..the fitment shouldn't be that much of a problem if you have the adjuster turned all the way in. You don't have the hand brake on, do you? Sorry, had to ask.

Did you do both sides at once? If not, pull the other drum and make sure you did the new side correctly.

Thanks for the welcome.

I 've taken the brakes back off and am reasonably sure they ARE the wrong ones. I'll take them back later today and let you know if I have better luck.

If nothing else the trouble helped me find this site and I'm grateful for that. SOOOO much great info here! :D

Well, I've got er dun. They were the wrong brakes...determined by comparing the steel backing (thanks) , I had to get resurfaced brakes after trying 3 times to get new ones from 3 different stores. The resurfaced still did not allow the drums to go on easily, the true trick was taking the cap off the master cylinder to release the pressure.

:D