99 Pathfinder self destructing; need help

OE812

I will not make you relive what my wife and I have lived the past 2 months. I am having major issues with my 99 Pathfinder we purchased on July 8, 2006. I had it in the dealership service dept. for a month to change out the lifters on right bank. While in the shop, I had the O2 sensor, timing belt, tensioner, and water pump changed. Now the fun starts. Picked it up last week and noticed that it started surging at 40-45mph and stalling from a stop. Then the check engine light illuminates...then it goes off...then on!? I brought it back to the dealership and they said I needed to provide a spark plug changeout and fuel system service. Keep in mind; none of this was happening prior to having them change the timing belt and 02 sensor. I drove the pathy home today and changed the plugs and went back with the NGK platinum plugs. I then cleaned the throttle body. More fun; test drove it on the highway and accelerated briskly up to 80mph and noticed lots and lots of smoke and a oily film hitting the rear windshield! I pulled over and transmission oil is everywhere. Got it home and dried off the oil underneath and spent about a hour trying to find the source of the oil but couldn't. The gaskets look fine and nothing leaking from the linkage.

I need some serious help on this one. This is driving me insane. Where do I start.

thanks,

put the old plugs and 02 back in...dont say anything to the dealership...get them to change it and drive it home and have that happen and blame it on them...but if htey know that u did anything they will blame it on u...even if u have to drive there and clean it up a block away or something...but i def would try to make it their fault....

this is just because they will say its not their fault and ures (which it might not be either but it will give u a possible out esp if u have any kind of warranty)

Edited by unccpathfinder

Honestly? By never taking it to a dealer again. If you can find a good mechanic, that may be an option. I was just commenting to my wife today about the problems we had when I was too busy to maintain our own vehicles and how few (as in 0) problems we have had both on my '92 Pathy and her '00 Xterra since I made the time to do everything myself.

Now for your problem

Did you check the fluid level? It may have been over filled. If not, the leak may be in the transmission line or maybe some blockage in the cooler causing it to overheat. I don't have autos and only do minor work on them for friends and neighbors, but I have seen them spew fluid from overheating.

Fluid level is good. It only happened when I accelerated briskly with rpms around 6000 to 6500 traveling at 75 to 80mph. I was reading another forum post that said to check the turbine sensor on the top of the transmission.

Personally, I have no experience with that model, but I'd assume it'd go up the firewall and link to the breathers for the front diff and/or the t-case. You can just run a new hose up to a point where it won't get a lot of dust or suck water if you just want it plugged off, but that tube shouldn't be spewing fluid at ALL in the first place.