Spare Tire Carrier Grill?

KevinKernaghan

Tailgating season is here, and in Lubbock, TX of all places I've found quite a few great grill-related inventions. I was looking at my spare tire carrier today and pondering one of my own:

Instead of building something that fits into my receiver hitch and has to have a bunch of complex hinges built in to clear the way for the opening tailgate, why not build something that can bolt on to the existing swingarm of the spare tire carrier? Though it will stick out further than a spare, if I keep it lightweight so it doesn't weigh more than the tire (which I would take off and store in the rear) and make it easy to connect/disconnect and empty, what problems could I run into? I don't need a particularly large grill for me and my friends, I was thinking maybe half or 2/3 the height of a steel barrel turned on its side and hinged in the middle.

So far the only real difficulty is getting it far enough away from the car so that the residual heat coming off of it doesn't screw up the paint finish on the car or the tire carrier. Not only that, but I have absolutely no idea as to the legality of such an invention, but I know I've seen lots of trailers at tailgating events that are in no likely way legal...

Thoughts?

Well I just saw a picture of a Pathy with a propane grill mounted in place of the spare on the swing out carrier in the October edition of Four Wheeler (right above the picture of Vengeful!). Maybe Dan saw it in person and can give some more details on how it worked... :shrug:

i know this was against ure idea but....weld a piece of 3 in square tubing on the bottom of the carrier with a hole for the pin...build a grill on like piece of square tubing that will slide in the reciever thats the length of the existing carier...bend up at the end...weld a boat seat swivel with holes and a smaller pin so u could slide the grill in and swivel it to fit while traveling and while ure cooking u could swing the carrier out pull the extension out and swivel the grill around and that woudl give u prob 6' from the truck and that should be plenty of room for heat... u could also weld on a j bracket to hand a 20 lb cylinder on while in cook mode

and for ure hitch u must install a bumper dumper :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
i know this was against ure idea but....weld a piece of 3 in square tubing on the bottom of the carrier with a hole for the pin...build a grill on like piece of square tubing that will slide in the reciever thats the length of the existing carier...bend up at the end...weld a boat seat swivel with holes and a smaller pin so u could slide the grill in and swivel it to fit while traveling and while ure cooking u could swing the carrier out pull the extension out and swivel the grill around and that woudl give u prob 6' from the truck and that should be plenty of room for heat... u could also weld on a j bracket to hand a 20 lb cylinder on while in cook mode

and for ure hitch u must install a bumper dumper :lol:

Sounds like a good idea, I wouldn't want to permanently have a "grill" on my Pathy...lol