Fuel Storage

Jarsiff

I'm learning quite a bit about whats available for the pathy and 4wheelin in general but one thing i'm running into is extra fuel for the long hauls into the mountains. I know if I had a basket on top I could use the metal jerry can mounts up there, but without it what are you guys doing about extra fuel? I have an 02 so theres no tire rack on the back and the liftgate opens up so that doesnt make much sense. I personally wont store fuel inside the back no matter what can I have, call me paranoid. anyone else run into this?

Well, i'm in Oregon and whether I take out from Eugene (where I live) or Bend (where my brother lives) it could be quite a ways from any gas stations if I do it right. LOL

Also since i'm here and i dont want to make a bunch of new posts I'm looking into the warn hubs for my 2002 and all I found are up to 01 here:

Hubs

are these what I want or do I need to get something else?

jar, make anothe post in the garage but you'd do just fine if you searched the rums first. the answers can be found.

now as to the fuel. yeah, roof rack or a rear bumper w/ tire and gerry can. might want to check out Pezzy rear bumper for awesome ideas. not sure if she has a can on her's but i am sure one could put one there.. i think those are your only two vible shoices.

The problem with military jerry cans is weight - it's awful hard to haul them up and down from the roof. And of course you need to make sure your rack is up to challenge of that, especially under the demands of wheeling.

I have three 2.5 gallon plastic fuel cans for rooftop use - just regular cans for chainsaws and stuff. I place them in milk crates for protection - that way the plastic gas can base is on the plastic milk crate base, which shouldn't be able to rub or cut through. If you want to be totally safe put a piece of dense foam (like sleeping pads) or neoprene (old wetsuit jackets) between the gas can and milk crate.

Lash the milk crate to the roof rack, and then lash the gas can inside the milk crate, and maybe even through to the roof rack. I prefer multiple smaller cans because then if one leaks you don't lose all your fuel, and they are easier to handle. If you're out with multiple vehicles and one person needs gas, or is bailing early, they can take a can and you're not left empty. If you're stuck in a thick tree-lined trail, the branches will be whacking the milk crate, not the gas can.

I explore some remote stretches in Northern Maine, but rarely need extra fuel. If most of what you're driving on is dirt road - even good dirt/gravel road - you're usually driving under 50 mph. You should easily have 250-275 mile range, and it's hard to find continuous, no-gas-for-sale stretches that far. But I like to carry gas in case I get hopelessly lost, or to help out someone else.

m.

PS - and you are correct - NEVER carry fuel inside the vehicle.