Tune Up and Timing Belt--Pep Boys?

Guest Chrislrob

Guest Chrislrob

Well, I've owned my '97 for 6 months now--love it. It only has 89,000 miles on it. The engine is starting to sound a little rough. I think it's time for a tune up and I'm wondering where to go and get it. Also thinking about having my timing belt changed.

I am NOT handy--stopping my gas pedal from sticking a little while ago made me feel like Mr. Goodwrench! I've been trying to decide if I should take it to Pep Boys or a dealer or some other chain.

Anyone have good/bad experiences with national chains and their Pathy?

Does it make sense to get the timing belt done now or should I wait?

How much will all of this cost?

Thanks!

Pep Boys sucks. Period. They opened a huge store here and it closed less than a year later due to poor service, high prices, and terrible selection. The old Pep Boys store is now a Mexican Supermarketado.

Your timing belt isn't due for another 30,000 miles if I'm not mistaken. I'd leave it be for now and just get replacement plugs, cap/rotor, wires and filters. It should keep running just fine that way.

The dealership is the best place to go for a t-belt change unless you can do it yourself.

I agree too, and I used to work there at the Puyallup, WA store! It was an in-between job while looking for a *real* one after college. The mechanics ranged from indifferent to just plain no knowledge. One guy even thought it was a step up when he was canned and went across the parking lot to work at Jiffy Lube!

Don't worry, I'm not knocking Jiffy Lube. Just saying that its not exactly a full service place with full-on mechanics generally. They do have a serious mark-up on prices though! :P The Pep Boys guys had issues. I remember they refused to change my brother's tires on his Mustang with the exact same size he had been running for 2 years (235/45 17). They said the computer told them they wouldn't fit, so that was that. I got to work the parts counter for a bit, and their solution was, if it wasn't in the computer, then they couldn't help. Period.

Guest Chrislrob

thanks for the replies, fellas! For some reason, I didn't get email notification that I had any--probably my fault.

I had read that if you were close on the time to change the belt then it was best just to get it done then rather than wait.

But I guess I will.

Hope this stuff helps.

I think I'll go to a dealer just to be safe....