Rear axle seal leaking

thndrwhls

I had the rear axle seals replaced about a year ago, along with the rear parking brake pads that were saturataed with axle fluid. Its been a year, and several months ago I noticed that the back of the brake house ing was wet, leading me to believe that it was leaking again. Another clue is this, when I am backing up and tunring I hear a rubbing sound coming from the rear axle where the leak is.

Any ideas as to what the underlying problem could be would be appreciated. it has been suggested that the axle may be bent, it also has been suggested that unless I am running large tires or bounceing my truck off of large bumps, niether of which I am doing, the axle probably would not be the culpret.

Thanks in advance for your input...

The axleshaft could have a slight burr or scratch on it right where the seal goes that ruins the seal after a while. Mine leaked a long time ago too, made one rear brake lock up every time I pressed on the brakes(fluid on brake shoes), it was terrible! I replaced the seals twice and it quit doing it. *shrug*

seals don't usually wear the leak is usually caused by a failed bearing causing up and down movement of the shaft and as stated above a bur on the shaft alsomay cause that. THe seal may have made a groove wear it rides also.

Later

Jamie

Thanks guys...

So, its possible then that A: The axle has a burr. or B: The bearing is worn.

Given this info I am lead to believe that the guy that did this for me either scored the seal upon reinserting the axle or that there was a burr since he replaces the bearing when he replaced the seal. Make sense?

And the rubbing sound that it makes, could this be the parknig brakes rubbing? They dont work well at all, he did have to adjust them rather tight and stated that they may make that sound until the seat.

I suppose I need to take it in and simply have it redone by a shop where I can take it back if it leaks again.

Thanks for the input.

:beer:

theres also inner and outter seals...as well as bearings...i just changed outters when i did mine and it knocked the leak back a lot but it still leaks a lil...also any of the above could be true...

and a buddy of mine had a bent axle shaft...we have no idea how it happened or when it happened or if he even did it (he didnt go offroad except on the beach) but in 3 years we replaced both 3 times and finally pulled the shaft and spun it and u could see it was out of round...changed it and it never leaked again

Well, I ordered all the bearings and seals I could find on the parts list I d-loaded(thanks 88) also got the new shoes for the parking brake since the existing ones are saturated. I am taking it Monday to have them installed and will have them spin the axle to check it for bent.

This place is known locally for specializing in nissans, hondas & Toyotas been around for years and has a great rep, should have taken it there first. He said it would be about $110.00 for everything I mentioned, I figured not to bad considering. Should be less since I am grabbing the parts, cuz works at a local dealer so he gets a deal, besides, I was trying to minimize down time.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will keep you posted on the progress.