Pathy expedition

The Drift

Here's the scenario.

I have 10 days of vacation to use up.

I love the outdoors, mountains, camping, snow, everything...but I live in the burbs of Chicago lol...so the outdoorsy stuff is very under abundant.

My goal, use my vacation time up roughing it. A week, to a week and a half of me, a friend or two, my truck, and nature. Essentially I just want to get driving, off into the wilderness. On some type of trail if possible, nothing to hairy because my truck is still not lifted or anything. Just get to see some scenery, camp out, where ever I stop for the night, and keep truckin in the morning.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping to do this late Nov. Early Dec, because by then I should be fairly healed up from my Knee surgery. Anyone in the midwest interested in meeting up and doing something? I really don't care where I go, just as long as it's out of the urban jungle.

I would use one day to HEAD WEST young man...

You can make it to Utah with one very long day in the saddle. Colorado is rife with nice areas as well, but late November could be weathery.

Weather doesn't really bother me...and actually Utah wouldn't be half bad.

linky

When living in North Carolina the wife and I went white water canoeing on an overnight trip. It was pretty neat, put off in north carolina and ended up north in Virginia. It was white water but not difficult. You just paddle backwards the whole trip.

I've always wanted to go back, but November is too cold for that.

Along the way there were some abandoned 4x4's rusting out in the river so there has to be trails.

The National park we stayed at was primitive, the ranger came by at dusk to collect park fees. He showed up on a quad bike. There were no roads.

I do want to go back, but April or early October would be the best times.

I would use one day to HEAD WEST young man...

You can make it to Utah with one very long day in the saddle. Colorado is rife with nice areas as well, but late November could be weathery.

Would you be up for something?

You're in Indiana right?

linky

When living in North Carolina the wife and I went white water canoeing on an overnight trip. It was pretty neat, put off in north carolina and ended up north in Virginia. It was white water but not difficult. You just paddle backwards the whole trip.

I've always wanted to go back, but November is too cold for that.

Along the way there were some abandoned 4x4's rusting out in the river so there has to be trails.

The National park we stayed at was primitive, the ranger came by at dusk to collect park fees. He showed up on a quad bike. There were no roads.

I do want to go back, but April or early October would be the best times.

October might work.

I schedule my knee surgery today, so I'll post what I find out today.

dude, i got many ideas.. give me a direction. :D

west is far. utah is more then 1 day in the seat.. it'll cost you an arm and a leg but would be fun.. i think the weather someone refered to here is snow.. lot's of snow... so much that your truck is probably better off the mountain.. just my 2c..

anyway.. depends how far you want to go.. MN, UP of MI (look up Hurons on MXO) are ~6-8h from chitown, it's great up there but that late there is bound to be lots of snow.. feets of it! and it could be way cold... KY, TN, WV, PA are about the same distance... all those places have lot's of wilderness/off roading opportunities.

Edited by mzxtreme

dude, i got many ideas.. give me a direction. :D

west is far. utah is more then 1 day in the seat.. it'll cost you an arm and a leg but would be fun.. i think the weather someone refered to here is snow.. lot's of snow... so much that your truck is probably better off the mountain.. just my 2c..

anyway.. depends how far you want to go.. MN, UP of MI (look up Hurons on MXO) are ~6-8h from chitown, it's great up there but that late there is bound to be lots of snow.. feets of it! and it could be way cold... KY, TN, WV, PA are about the same distance... all those places have lot's of wilderness/off roading opportunities.

Direction isn't even really an issue for me. I just found out I'm NOT having knee surgery WOOOT, so that helps my cause out a lil. What kind of ideas do you have?

The UP in winter would be awesome, snow or not.

Never been to east of ohio or south of kentucky so those are pretty cool options also. Right now I'm just looking for as many ideas and interested parties as possible to begin piecing something together.

Direction isn't even really an issue for me.

ok, give me a radius then..

i don't know much about PA but others here do..

if you have any specific Qs about MI, MN, WV or E. TN let me know. lot's of stuff to do in all those areas.

E. KY mountains are super nice.. W. KY is pretty cool too (avoid Marshall Co. at all costs!) LBL is awesome and EMPTY... E. TN (NC, VA, WV) area is pretty cool too.

ME, VT, NH are cool but once again many roads/trails may be impassible (closed) already.. i am sure our npora eastern friends can fill you in more on that though.

Edited by mzxtreme

I just looked it up.... 1350 miles from Chickagoland to Green River. That would be a long day, but if you like the desert (and you will...) it would be worth it. If not this trip, at least put it on your "to do" list!